.22 Colibri

10 Replies, 104 Views

Back in the day at the place I deer hunted which was next to a subdivision there was a serious cat problem. The old man who owned it loved his quail and hated the cats so me and the buddies went to work on them. The areas close to the subdivision wasn't safe to shoot a centerfire rifle or even a regular .22 because of the noise attracting unwanted attention. We did a lot of bow hunting for the cats in that area until we discovered CB caps. Virtually no muzzle report, quieter than a bb gun and the bullet hitting was louder than the report by far. We wore out the cats that were coming from the subdivision and feasting on quail. In the areas away from the subdivision it was anything goes. We shot cats with everything. Shotguns, rifles, bows, pistols, whatever we had at the moment. We had a tape of a kitten in distress and that pulled the cats out of the woodwork, but we shot a lot of them while walking the edge of the woods or along the ditch that ran through the place. The next fall there were quail everywhere and all sorts of "missing cat" signs in the subdivision. Old man was so tickled he even let us hunt the quail.

CB caps were good to 30-40 yard head shots and would drop the cats right there. Back then the law was a cat was considered feral if it wasn't on its owners property or didn't have a collar. Cats under those circumstances were given no protection. I'm sure the bunny huggers have gotten that changed today but that place is long since built up into subdivisions and all the wildlife gone.