223/5.56 pistol?

1 Replies, 14 Views

Background: I have a pistol in 450 Bushmaster (last year I harvested a doe at 100 yards, very impressed), and also one in 350 Legend (my son uses it and has filled several tags with it). I wanted something not deer hunting (Iowa is a ‘straight wall’ state) and Rampy told me to build .300 BO, as it’s ideally suited for shorter barrels, so I have that one. I have the parts for a 9mm PCC that won’t be a C, I guess.

I really want a 223/5.56. How short can I go before there’s no need to bother with it? 223/5.56 isn’t a pistol load, but people do it. I want the shortest reasonable barrel?
I think it was 11.5” and then any shorteryou really loose effectiveness of the 5.56

Chuck P had lots of first hand usage of the GAU/M4 system in actual combat & accuracy as well as lethality went down hill the shorter the barrel, I really forgot all the in’s and outs but that’s part of what drove the 300 blackout to be developed if I remember correctly

Chuck is one of those true SME worth paying close attention to
………………………………..

SGM® Pressburg retired from the US Army on January 1, 2017 after 26 years of active service, mostly in Special Operations and Special Missions Units. After Infantry and Airborne Training in 1990, Chuck completed the Ranger Indoctrination Program and was assigned to the 1st Bn, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Chuck’s experience includes:

10 years in the 75th Ranger Regiment including Platoon Sergeant of a 65-man strike force that was deployed to Afghanistan two times in 2001/2002. Chuck’s platoon was highly decorated for combat action receiving 10 Silver Stars and 11 Bronze stars with “V” during their first deployment.

24 months Rifle and Sniper Squad Leader - 82nd Airborne Division.

2 years Asymmetric Warfare Group (AWG) (Founding member, 1st active Army unit member deployed to combat, Selection Class #1, Operational Training Course (OTC) Class #1).

20 months in Operation Iraqi Freedom conducting Small Kill Team (SKT) operations and Direct Action raids in support of conventional and Special Operations Forces.

12 years, HQ USASOC performing various operational and staff tasks including a two-year assignment to the G8 section where Chuck performed Science and Technology R&D. While assigned to USASOC, Chuck graduated from the Defense Acquisitions University’s Combat Developer’s Course and The Human Factors Engineering (MANPRINT) Course. Chuck spent several years assisting in material acquisition programs for SOF.