A conversation enlightened me!

2 Replies, 261 Views

I just got off the phone with a long time friend.  He was the oldest new guy in the sandbox when they loosened age requirements.
We talked about my go bag choices and my trauma kit and the fact that I had no idea how to use it. All of my training was back in the 70s when tourniquets were verboten and tampons were the norm for gsw
He educated me on sucking chest wounds, tourniquet usage, etc. more than I think I could've learned in a first aid class. He went on to describe intubation  and field iv fluid replacement.
Anyway,  I feel like I'm now better equipped to handle emergency treatment  if the situation presents itself.
My main point is... there are many sources of education,  but friends who have been there, done that are great sources of knowledge.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

By the way, I thought a sucking chest wound was the lungs getting air from the wound. Turns out the diaphragm is getting air from the wound and overpowering the lungs. Boy was I ignorant! That info was invaluable to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

(12-17-2023, 03:18 PM)tommag Wrote: By the way, I thought a sucking chest wound was the lungs getting air from the wound. Turns out the diaphragm is getting air from the wound and overpowering the lungs. Boy was I ignorant! That info was invaluable to me.

From what I understand the military has gone away with IV portion of self aid/buddy care and left it up to the medics, they were causing problems by always doing IV’s not to mention the idiots doing them for rehydration after a night out at the bar 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tubing someone also requires specialized training as it’s stupid easy to get the tube in the stomach and killing the person 

A sucking chest wound is insane in person just like a fail chest 

Stop the bleed classes are very good as are some medical depending on the subject matter and the instructor 

not all TQ are created equal & you need to know the good ones and how to apply them
[-] The following 2 users Like Rampy's post: