Anyone here use a cane?

28 Replies, 1871 Views

I've gotten to the point that I think I might benefit from a little extra support. I never thought about them as a weapon other than the obvious "it's a stick" part. I see YouTube videos that utilize a lot of moves I would've never thought of. Pretty brutal shit, actually. In the event that one had to protect against an attack, I guess brutal is better. Whatever it takes to get by.
I won't link to anything, but I ordered an aluminum cane from blade HQ made by cold steel, iirc.
Nope, it's made by ka-bar.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2024, 08:22 AM by tommag.)
Great thing about a cane is you can take them anywhere including a plane. When he was in his 80s, Col. Rex Applegate was jumped by some young muggers. He beat the crap out them with his cane. I don't know if he ever wrote a book on cane fighting but that's the one I'd look for.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

I’ve got a Irish Shillelagh Wooden Walking Stick made out of Blackthorn Wood the Irish used them as fighting tools and they were banned/illegal for many decades

My physical therapist did not want me to use a cane as it can help develop bad habits and become a crutch

I always have it with me whet traveling but try to not use it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

My dad was told not to use a cane because they didn’t want him stooping over. He was told to use a walking stick that is quite high because it’s tall and it makes you stand upright.

I’ve always coveted the Crawford survival staff, but it’s 1) not a quick deploy- with the screw together pieces and 2) would hardly be allowed in a secure environment. I have a cheap imitation I use for hiking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

I have two..one collapsible is kept on the Spyder..the other, with a brass Eagle head, I take when in a no firearm, no knife venue..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake46's post:

Honestly, I didn't give much thought to it as a weapon, other than the obvious "it's a stick" thing. Watching a few YouTube videos, I now realize that there's a bunch of people who specialize in the art of cane fighting. Now I'm second guessing my choice. At about 2lbs, my cane is stout for a walking stick, but maybe a bit slow as a weapon.
What do you think of your new cane?
(01-17-2024, 05:06 AM)Rampy Wrote: What do you think of your new cane?
I haven't seen it yet. I'm stuck in the Seattle area.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(01-01-2024, 08:21 PM)tommag Wrote: Honestly, I didn't give much thought to it as a weapon, other than the obvious "it's a stick" thing.  Watching a few YouTube videos, I now realize that there's a bunch of people who specialize in the art of cane fighting. Now I'm second guessing my choice. At about 2lbs, my cane is stout for a walking stick, but maybe a bit slow as a weapon.

There’s a couple guys that used to play for the Chicago Cubs who could probably show you how to drill it out and replace the core with cork to lighten it…
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

Ran across this on Youtube today. Thought you might find it useful.

An Unstoppable Movement for Cane Self-Defense

Terry
[-] The following 3 users Like specops56's post: