Anyone here use a cane?

28 Replies, 2845 Views

(01-17-2024, 09:28 AM)tommag Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 05:06 AM)Rampy Wrote: What do you think of your new cane?
I haven't seen it yet. I'm stuck in the Seattle area.

ahhhhh ok, now I’m really confused, though you lived out in the PNW
(01-17-2024, 04:35 PM)specops56 Wrote: Ran across this on Youtube today. Thought you might find it useful.

An Unstoppable Movement for Cane Self-Defense

Terry

They have a ton of videos and make/sell canes 

How are you posting the video and not just a link 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I’m trying to get a custom made cane or 2 (one TSA complaint) but the guy making them is swamped with farm/ranch work and the weather is just making it that much worse 

Seems the lighter the cane the harder strikes are & bamboo is excellent for fighting canes 

Might look into a walking staff as the snow/ice is a real bitch
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2024, 12:55 AM by Rampy.)
https://youtu.be/9JreB_3A0s0?si=qBwEmDnww_lDDeAe
I give up, can only post a link

https://youtu.be/nBR6ySkf5aM?si=kI8cegaFigOWRite
I just copy and paste the link and then hit post and it shows up like it used to do on the Armory. I'm doing it from a desktop iMac and not a phone so maybe that's the difference?

Terry
(01-18-2024, 12:46 AM)Rampy Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 09:28 AM)tommag Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 05:06 AM)Rampy Wrote: What do you think of your new cane?
I haven't seen it yet. I'm stuck in the Seattle area.

ahhhhh ok, now I’m really confused, though you lived out in the PNW
I do, but eastern side. Amateur thieves have tried hotwiring my Seattle vehicle twice and last time destroyed the steering column. I ran into a snag trying to replace it myself so hired a mobile mechanic to fix it. He got behind schedule so 2 no shows last week. I figured out a solution and with the help of a friend put the column in today. Tomorrow I'll charge the battery (no access to charger or electricity on Sunday) to attempt anti theft reset. Evidently it takes an hour or more with the key on, so need full charge. When I get it going I'm going to drive it home and leave it there, then schedule some medical procedures I need.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2024, 06:08 PM by tommag.)
[-] The following 3 users Like tommag's post:

My bro uses 2 canes ( grandads old ones), he is permanently bent at a 45 degree angle and usually rides a scooter, unless he is on his 3 wheel Harley!😁
He is also a 4th deg black belt and definately can use the canes in an appropriate manner. He has one cane that doubles as a sword.
[-] The following 4 users Like Sw9mm's post:

(01-29-2024, 08:17 PM)Sw9mm Wrote: My bro uses 2 canes ( grandads old ones), he is permanently bent at a 45 degree angle and usually rides a scooter, unless he is on his 3 wheel Harley!😁
He is also a 4th deg black belt and definately can use the canes in an appropriate manner. He has one cane that doubles as a sword.
4th degree black belt? Dang, I don't think I'd qualify as a 1st degree dingey white suspenders!
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024, 05:15 PM by tommag.)

First impression is that it seems a bit heavy. I'll need to cut a couple inches off of it as it is a bit long. That won't lighten it much, but maybe the ft/lbs would make it seem better?
I've never used a cane before, so my impression isn't based on experience. The idea of using it on the opposite side from the problem leg seems backwards, but I'll have to rely on the experts. Walking with it was very unatural, but I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it.
My choice of aluminum vs hickory was based on having a hickory ram rod break while loading a muzzleloader. The result wasn't very nice. While I've never heard of someone impaling themselves on a splintered cane, the thought of it is in my mind. Now that I think about it, the likelihood of breaking a 1" cane vs a 5/16th ramrod in a fouled barrel is somewhere around 0%.

Got a e mail saying Shillelagh‘s have been restocked at a company in Ireland

Some have lead in the handle/ball, trying to figure out what I want & size, not really sur about the lead filled ones