Bread in America Vs Canada

3 Replies, 632 Views

Spent a week up in Canada & normally I try to avoid all bread due to how it skyrockets my blood sugar & really increases nerve pain 

However, we ate at a Italian deli where they bake their bread and it looked sooooooo good 

Did not increase nerve pain at all & I had a large sammich that was incredible 

Went to a bar/restaurant and the wife got pirogies that were soooo good and I got the house special burger on a bun & once again zero increase of nerve pain 

Tim Hortons coffee & apple fritter did increase nerve pain as I expected it to, next day coffee & breakfast sandwich zero increase in nerve pain 

McDonald’s in Canada is wild, stuff not available in the states so I pigged out maple bbq bacon double quarter pounder (no fries) expected a large increase in pain & only a minor increase, Double Big Mac….minor increase, spicy grilled chicken with fries, minimal increase in pain 

Breakfast Chicken Mc muffin (delicious) and a  bacon eggs & cheese bagel minor increase in pain 

Stopped at McDonalds in the states for lunch & had a Big Mac (no fries) and Diet Coke (trying to cut out as much refined sugar’s as possible) and WTF……very noticeable increase in nerve pain as totally expected 

Bread is the common denominator, must be a shit ton of sugar and corn syrup & chemicals in bread we get here in the states
[Image: IMG-7788.jpg]
I think their wheat is quite different. My uncle (Kansas) says we grow a ‘softer’ wheat in the U.S. due to the milder winters and longer growing season. My mother-in-law doesn’t like the flour here- says it feels different and bakes totally differently. Uncle says their hard wheat is actually less desirable, and sells for less, but if that’s what you can grow and you get used to it…

Both say Canadian bread and other baked goods are very different as a result.
(01-03-2024, 05:42 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: I think their wheat is quite different. My uncle (Kansas) says we grow a ‘softer’ wheat in the U.S. due to the milder winters and longer growing season. My mother-in-law doesn’t like the flour here- says it feels different and bakes totally differently. Uncle says their hard wheat is actually less desirable, and sells for less, but if that’s what you can grow and you get used to it…

Both say Canadian bread and other baked goods are very different as a result.

very interesting, have never heard that before but without a doubt bread is definitely different and I think better quality than in the states