Finally shot this year.

10 Replies, 756 Views

(12-28-2023, 10:42 AM)Rampy Wrote: I was wrong, it’s 2200fps

357 under 2200fps is just a faster 38 special. It's not doing anything more to a human target especially when it exits the body.

my point,  one can run a 357 round in a 357 at a lower velocity and still get good performance without beating up the gun and shooter,  and avoid the carbon ring in the cylinder when shooting 38 Special. DB and myself developed such a load. Can send you some to test.
I have loaded several different 357 cases with lighter loads, around 38 +p. I was shooting one of those yesterday. Not the most accurate load I have put together but I made it to rid myself of a bunch of bullets that were sent to me in error. 

My self defense load is a factory jacketed soft point hollow point. I like it because it shoots well and does not buck like a full house load....very controllable in all my 357's. It is a quick round being a 125g bullet. 

My practice and plinking rounds are all 158g of varying velocities, each tailored to a specific gun for max power, accuracy, and comfort. Those fireball loads are as warm as I go. I could load heavier but for no reason other than a big boom. Those rounds above get the biggest giggles per shot than any other in my Blackhawk from my wife. That same round in my King Cobra or SP101 would be the last my wife ever shot. I will not let her fire anything that will hurt her. I want and have gotten zero flinch from her over the years. 

I would be interested in a reduced power load for the 357 that was dead on accurate out of my guns. I found out with the King Cobra it hated Bullseye and the bullet I was using together. That gun keyhole them where my SP101 shot them fine but they did not produce the best accuracy. Same bullet and different powder they shot fine. The Colts are made different than the Rutgers for sure.
[-] The following 2 users Like Towtruck's post: