I Have a Problem 🤣🤣

10 Replies, 4548 Views

Just went and ordered a S&W Performance Center 642 Performance Center J Frame (no lock, cut for moon clips & action job) along with a Bulman J frame holster

Been carrying the nickel plated 442 for years & it’s a rare critter & don’t want to loose it so finally figured I’d retire it from daily cary & see how the 642 with an action job compares 

https://www.bulman-gunleather.com/shop-k...al-holster
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 02:43 AM by Rampy.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Rampy's post:

(10-23-2023, 02:42 AM)Rampy Wrote: Just went and ordered a S&W Performance Center 642 Performance Center J Frame (no lock, cut for moon clips & action job) along with a Bulman J frame holster

Been carrying the nickel plated 442 for years & it’s a rare critter & don’t want to loose it so finally figured I’d retire it from daily cary & see how the 642 with an action job compares 

https://www.bulman-gunleather.com/shop-k...al-holster

I almost bought one of those a few weeks ago. I went with a different model instead and discovered something concerning. The concern is with me and not the gun. I'll post pictures and more detail later today.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

I decided I needed a new pocket pistol. I wanted a S&W J frame specifically. I almost got the 642 Performance Center but went with the 638 Airweight Bodyguard instead. I felt I wanted the option of single action in case I ever needed to make a precision shot.

[Image: VlTXSrv.jpg]

[Image: zV0N2uz.jpg]

I knew the J frame would have the usual crappy, heavy trigger pull. I planned on giving it an action tune after my initial range session to make sure it had no existing problems.
Then I discovered something that has me concerned. It seems that, unbeknownst to me until now, my right hand trigger finger has developed a problem. The first time I pulled the DA trigger on the 638 I could barely complete it. I got a severe shooting pain that went down my finger and along the inside of my forearm causing me to lose strength in that finger. That’s never happened to me before.
I can operate the trigger just fine with my right middle finger ala’ Jack ruby. I can pull it fine with my left hand trigger finger.
I have no problem with the DA trigger on my Ruger LCR which is smoother from the factory. I have no problem with the DA trigger on the S&W 15 combat Masterpiece I built into a PPC gun in the early 80s in gunsmithing school. I didn’t think I would since I did the action work on that one.
So, it looks like I’ll have to tune the action sooner than I planned. In the meantime, I bought a finger exerciser and will be using that whenever I’m watching TV.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

Well, seeing as all of the old comments and personalities of Armory members are gone, and the passed away members words have now died along with them this one is for Noneya. Everyone is getting a new gun but me.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2023, 12:53 PM by smb5769.)
[-] The following 7 users Like smb5769's post:

(10-23-2023, 11:14 AM)specops56 Wrote: I decided I needed a new pocket pistol. I wanted a S&W J frame specifically. I almost got the 642 Performance Center but went with the 638 Airweight Bodyguard instead. I felt I wanted the option of single action in case I ever needed to make a precision shot.

[Image: VlTXSrv.jpg]

[Image: zV0N2uz.jpg]

I knew the J frame would have the usual crappy, heavy trigger pull. I planned on giving it an action tune after my initial range session to make sure it had no existing problems.
Then I discovered something that has me concerned. It seems that, unbeknownst to me until now, my right hand trigger finger has developed a problem. The first time I pulled the DA trigger on the 638 I could barely complete it. I got a severe shooting pain that went down my finger and along the inside of my forearm causing me to lose strength in that finger. That’s never happened to me before.
I can operate the trigger just fine with my right middle finger ala’ Jack ruby. I can pull it fine with my left hand trigger finger.
I have no problem with the DA trigger on my Ruger LCR which is smoother from the factory. I have no problem with the DA trigger on the S&W 15 combat Masterpiece I built into a PPC gun in the early 80s in gunsmithing school. I didn’t think I would since I did the action work on that one.
So, it looks like I’ll have to tune the action sooner than I planned. In the meantime, I bought a finger exerciser and will be using that whenever I’m watching TV.

Terry

The idea of a single action long range shot never crossed my mind. I wanted something that fit the 442 holsters & the 642 is a 442 with a different finish 

However, now you got the squirrels in my hear thinking & wondering about that long range shot……next range trip will have to see how horrible I am……

thinking about getting Culina boot grips as they are beautiful & serviceable over the factory ugly ones 🤣🤣

that interesting & depressing about your trigger finger, wonder if it’s something like carpel tunnel
(10-24-2023, 04:32 PM)Rampy Wrote: The idea of a single action long range shot never crossed my mind. I wanted something that fit the 442 holsters & the 642 is a 442 with a different finish 

However, now you got the squirrels in my hear thinking & wondering about that long range shot……next range trip will have to see how horrible I am……

thinking about getting Culina boot grips as they are beautiful & serviceable over the factory ugly ones 🤣🤣

that interesting & depressing about your trigger finger, wonder if it’s something like carpel tunnel

I wasn't thinking long range. I was thinking more like the bad guy hiding behind my wife. I want to be able to take the head shot if there's no other option.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

(10-24-2023, 05:24 PM)specops56 Wrote:
(10-24-2023, 04:32 PM)Rampy Wrote: The idea of a single action long range shot never crossed my mind. I wanted something that fit the 442 holsters & the 642 is a 442 with a different finish 

I wasn't thinking long range. I was thinking more like the bad guy hiding behind my wife. I want to be able to take the head shot if there's no other option.

Terry

I shoot 3”x 3” post it’s out to 10 yards (starting at 5 yards) using a timer from concealment 1 shot & then 2rds and push normal B8 & other targets out to 17 yards with the 442 

However, my choice of self defense ammo is currently unavailable due to a fire this past July & they are rebuilding and hopefully will be able to restart 38spl in 6-8 weeks give or take so I’m only shooting a few rds of this ammo
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2023, 04:53 AM by Rampy.)
The good news is that my finger seems to be getting better on it's own. I'm having less trouble and almost no pain now pulling the trigger. Hopefully this was just a a one time anomally.

Terry
[-] The following 3 users Like specops56's post:

Color me stupid, did not realize/missed the description they polished the trigger/cylinder release & cylinder cut outs and rounded the front of the cylinder😱🤣

I was fixated on the action job like a dork 🤣

The action is smooth, very smooth & not real light but not stupid heavy either, actually quite impressed

[Image: IMG-6200.jpg]

[Image: IMG-6205.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

Most amateurs concentrate on replacing the springs with lighter ones or, even worse, cutting coils off the rebound spring or backing out the strain screw. I concentrate on smoothing specific critical areas and then think about springs. Also, most don't know that polishing the springs also helps. I was taught that by the master gunsmith I worked for while waiting for my wife's enlistment to end.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post: