Is there no way.....

22 Replies, 669 Views

(08-13-2024, 03:46 PM)Rampy Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 11:25 AM)srjdsmith Wrote: I agree. I was pretty active when I was building a lot, but I post less about guns when I just use them as a tool. I was too busy this summer to shoot trap (but my son and daughter-in-law say we’re shooting Five Stand tonight), and my range trips were great fun but not so compelling to post about. My club stopped the Zombie Shoots and I didn’t do IDPA this summer.

I’m not building right now. I have a couple projects back-burnered for reasons. Like most, I just come to check in with other like-minded folks who own guns and treasure the 2A, but just living life…

I really miss some of the old guys. Some aren’t with us any more- TJ, Augie… and some don’t frequent this site- Greg, Tack, Retcop… so much knowledge and experience. As always, the other site has more active members, but is less… welcoming, less friendly. I don’t go there much any more- just got tired of swimming in a river of beta male testosterone. Same with glocktalk and iowawhitetails. I just can’t take the bragging and belittling.

TJ is dead 😳😳😰😰😰

I actually meant the “big” not with us any more. So, yeah.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

I have been less active with guns as well.  Plus a lot of the action has moved to social media and is just strangling traditional forums!  Seem like only the big ones like Arfcom, BladeForums, etc...are doing well.  Us little guys can't make a go of it anymore.  It doesn't help that Google and other search giants are systematically waging war against gun and knife sites!  We can't get the page rankings to even be found when searching!
[Image: image.php?u=3580&type=sigpic&dateline=1688129445]
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2024, 05:23 AM by RocketFoot.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes RocketFoot's post:

(08-14-2024, 05:20 AM)RocketFoot Wrote: I have been less active with guns as well.  Plus a lot of the action has moved to social media and is just strangling traditional forums!  Seem like only the big ones like Arfcom, BladeForums, etc...are doing well.  Us little guys can't make a go of it anymore.  It doesn't help that Google and other search giants are systematically waging war against gun and knife sites!  We can't get the page rankings to even be found when searching!
Speedy's post made me wonder if all my off topic and food and beverage posts were dragging the forum down.
I have read a few times that forums aren't favored by younger people so they are dying out as we old fogeys die out.
I don't get the distinction between forums and social media. It seems to me that forums are similar to Facebook/reddit etc. where we publish everything from profundity to embarrassing confessions.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2024, 05:53 AM by tommag.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(08-14-2024, 05:30 AM)tommag Wrote:
(08-14-2024, 05:20 AM)RocketFoot Wrote: I have been less active with guns as well.  Plus a lot of the action has moved to social media and is just strangling traditional forums!  Seem like only the big ones like Arfcom, BladeForums, etc...are doing well.  Us little guys can't make a go of it anymore.  It doesn't help that Google and other search giants are systematically waging war against gun and knife sites!  We can't get the page rankings to even be found when searching!
Speedy's post made me wonder if all my off topic and food and beverage posts were dragging the forum down.
I have read a few times that forums aren't favored by younger people so they are dying out as we old fogeys die out.
  I don't get the distinction between forums and social media.  It seems to me that forums are similar to Facebook/reddit etc. where we publish everything from profundity to embarrassing confessions.

“embarrassing confessions”? Like what?!? I shot an 11 in one round of Five Stand last night. Is that an embarrassing confession? Because I’m embarrassed.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

(08-14-2024, 08:03 AM)srjdsmith Wrote: “embarrassing confessions”? Like what?!? I shot an 11 in one round of Five Stand last night. Is that an embarrassing confession? Because I’m embarrassed.

At least you got out and pulled a trigger! Most of the rest of us can't say that.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

I pulled the trigger this morning! A wasp got in the house, and I shot it with my Bug-a-Salt gun. Didn't kill it with the shot, but knocked it off the ceiling and got it disoriented so I could get it with a fly swatter.
[-] The following 2 users Like olfart's post:

(08-14-2024, 10:13 AM)olfart Wrote: I pulled the trigger this morning! A wasp got in the house, and I shot it with my Bug-a-Salt gun. Didn't kill it with the shot, but knocked it off the ceiling and got it disoriented so I could get it with a fly swatter.

I assume you'll be mounting that trophy over your fireplace?

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(08-14-2024, 08:03 AM)srjdsmith Wrote:
  I don't get the distinction between forums and social media.  It seems to me that forums are similar to Facebook/reddit etc. where we publish everything from profundity to embarrassing confessions.

“embarrassing confessions”? Like what?!? I shot an 11 in one round of Five Stand last night. Is that an embarrassing confession? Because I’m embarrassed.

No one thing is dragging this site down. If people are seeking current data on weapons, as well as, much older info of value and find little here, they just move on. As suggested, it's mostly a sign of the times. But if others want to sit around a virtual campfire and shoot the bull about firearms and any other topic that may pop up, this is a good destination.
[-] The following 2 users Like speedy's post:

(08-14-2024, 11:13 AM)speedy Wrote:
(08-14-2024, 08:03 AM)srjdsmith Wrote:

No one thing is dragging this site down. If people are seeking current data on weapons, as well as, much older info of value and find little here, they just move on. As suggested, it's mostly a sign of the times. But if others want to sit around a virtual campfire and shoot the bull about firearms and any other topic that may pop up, this is a good destination.

If anyone comes here looking for info on weapons, all they need do is ask. We may not be posting about them much but there is still a treasure trove of gun experience and knowledge on this site just waiting to be tapped.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(08-13-2024, 09:57 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 03:46 PM)Rampy Wrote:
(08-13-2024, 11:25 AM)srjdsmith Wrote: I agree. I was pretty active when I was building a lot, but I post less about guns when I just use them as a tool. I was too busy this summer to shoot trap (but my son and daughter-in-law say we’re shooting Five Stand tonight), and my range trips were great fun but not so compelling to post about. My club stopped the Zombie Shoots and I didn’t do IDPA this summer.

I’m not building right now. I have a couple projects back-burnered for reasons. Like most, I just come to check in with other like-minded folks who own guns and treasure the 2A, but just living life…

I really miss some of the old guys. Some aren’t with us any more- TJ, Augie… and some don’t frequent this site- Greg, Tack, Retcop… so much knowledge and experience. As always, the other site has more active members, but is less… welcoming, less friendly. I don’t go there much any more- just got tired of swimming in a river of beta male testosterone. Same with glocktalk and iowawhitetails. I just can’t take the bragging and belittling.

TJ is dead 😳😳😰😰😰

I actually meant the “big” not with us any more. So, yeah.

ok, I’m confused but that’s normal anymore