Lets Talk About Buckshot

12 Replies, 63 Views

(3 hours ago)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote:
(3 hours ago)Rampy Wrote:
(4 hours ago)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote:
(5 hours ago)Rampy Wrote: I’ve got 3 gauges, one is a 1978 era 30” full choke blued one & that’s my baby ….

Other 2 are home defense kind of guns, a Beretta 1301 & a ithaca 37 CHP gun

I’ve ran all kinds of buckshot thru them and keep coming back to Flite Control 8 rd 00, wanted to get # 1 buckshot but could never find it & Bonefrog always seems to have flite control OO

Federal seems to have dropped their 8 pellet load, so that leaves only Hornady making 8 peellet 00buck I believe, however I've never seen it, only the #4 varmint load.

12GA Federal Tactical 00BuckShot 8 Pellet with FliteControl Wad 2 3/4 (LE133 00)

$66 for 50 rds at bonefrog

It may still be in stock some places, but federal no longer makes it and no longer list it on their website. Of course with being in alaska, it's not sosimple to just mail order and stock up either.

No idea what it takes to ship ammo to Alaska🤷‍♂️ 

We are planning a drive across Canada & up to Alaska & thinking about getting a lever action 44mag to be Canada legal

Just asked a LE distributor guy I know and was told the 8 rd 12 gauge is on the law enforcement side & not on federal website and it’s back in full production 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
(2 hours ago)Rampy Wrote:
(3 hours ago)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote:
(3 hours ago)Rampy Wrote:
(4 hours ago)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote:
(5 hours ago)Rampy Wrote: I’ve got 3 gauges, one is a 1978 era 30” full choke blued one & that’s my baby ….

Other 2 are home defense kind of guns, a Beretta 1301 & a ithaca 37 CHP gun

I’ve ran all kinds of buckshot thru them and keep coming back to Flite Control 8 rd 00, wanted to get # 1 buckshot but could never find it & Bonefrog always seems to have flite control OO

Federal seems to have dropped their 8 pellet load, so that leaves only Hornady making 8 peellet 00buck I believe, however I've never seen it, only the #4 varmint load.

12GA Federal Tactical 00BuckShot 8 Pellet with FliteControl Wad 2 3/4 (LE133 00)

$66 for 50 rds at bonefrog

It may still be in stock some places, but federal no longer makes it and no longer list it on their website. Of course with being in alaska, it's not sosimple to just mail order and stock up either.

No idea what it takes to ship ammo to Alaska🤷‍♂️ 

We are planning a drive across Canada & up to Alaska & thinking about getting a lever action 44mag to be Canada legal

Just asked a LE distributor guy I know and was told the 8 rd 12 gauge is on the law enforcement side & not on federal website and it’s back in full production 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Interesting. My guy said it was out of production, but maybe that is old news.

I do love a good 44 mag carbine. My current favorite is a Smith and Wesson 1854.
Stretched it out to 25 yards and the federal is really starting to shine now. This is probably all I will do today since the wind is starting to pick up and I also have other things I need to get done today rather than just shoot guns. I'd like to try the flight control out at 50 yards, as well as try all loads from a full choked gun, and also from a overbored gun.

I also realized I needed to be marking the pelelt hits from individual rounds better to get a better idea of what was going on. These were fired at 25 yeards off hand just holding center of the paper. Blue tracer is 1st round and black is second.

Federal Flight Control
[Image: temp-Image6igp-PO.avif]

Fiocchi Exactra
[Image: temp-Image-Rrla3m.avif]

Sellier & Bellot
[Image: temp-Image-N3xwu9.avif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Shooters Apprentice's post: