New users?

3 Replies, 184 Views

All these sudden "New Users" smell of dummy accounts. Several different ones made within minutes of each other and no posts from any of them. I really don't want us to lose this forum too!

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(04-03-2024, 01:47 PM)specops56 Wrote: All these sudden "New Users" smell of dummy accounts. Several different ones made within minutes of each other and no posts from any of them. I really don't want us to lose this forum too!

Terry
Yes, they do.  Many sign up in under 8 seconds, not really possible if you're a human doing it manually.  Not sure how the bots get by the captcha and challenge question.  Most of them never follow up with the activation emails.
I only hammer them after they post spam or include sketchy things in their custom titles/signature lines. If you look at their forum info you'll see many who sign up and only took 2 seconds online.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(04-03-2024, 02:12 PM)tommag Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 01:47 PM)specops56 Wrote: All these sudden "New Users" smell of dummy accounts. Several different ones made within minutes of each other and no posts from any of them. I really don't want us to lose this forum too!

Terry
Yes, they do.  Many sign up in under 8 seconds, not really possible if you're a human doing it manually.  Not sure how the bots get by the captcha and challenge question.  Most of them never follow up with the activation emails.
I only hammer them after they post spam or include sketchy things in their custom titles/signature lines. If you look at their forum info you'll see many who sign up and only took 2 seconds online.

Then why wait when it's this obvious?

Terry
Until they activate their accounts they can't post anything. Not all of them are 2 second wonders. I don't want to ban possible legit members until they prove otherwise. With VPN they could be from anywhere and go through servers elsewhere, so the IP address can be suspicious, but not necessarily by itself.
[-] The following 3 users Like tommag's post: