Newest project.

12 Replies, 4470 Views

It would not be a vacation for me if I did not have something to build. This vacation is on track for another "work harder than at work week". Two days ago we finally got kick started to make a new shelter for the new horse. He is being weaned and is out in the elements for a few months. We had 2 inches of rain the other day and he will need his own run in anyway so I made a call and got five stick of oil well pipe yesterday. Started cutting pipe and welding yesterday. Finished up the frame work and welded on the bolts to attach the boards today. "

Tomorrow afternoon I will buy the boards I need to wall in the back and left side. The other two sides will remain open. I am going to plywood the roof first then put tin on on top of that to help cut rain sound and radiant heat in the summer. 

This frame work is 12'x10', 7'6" high in back and 8'6" in front.....the frame alone is 1100 pounds. I built pull points on the lower corners so I can move this around and relocate it in the future with my tractor. 

Did all that work by myself too......and yes, it is square and plumb within 1/8". 
[Image: IMG-4510.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Towtruck's post:

Thank goodness..I was afraid you were going to take a day off..😂
[-] The following 3 users Like Snake46's post:

Nice… vacation?
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

(09-05-2023, 08:03 PM)Towtruck Wrote: It would not be a vacation for me if I did not have something to build. This vacation is on track for another "work harder than at work week". Two days ago we finally got kick started to make a new shelter for the new horse. He is being weaned and is out in the elements for a few months. We had 2 inches of rain the other day and he will need his own run in anyway so I made a call and got five stick of oil well pipe yesterday. Started cutting pipe and welding yesterday. Finished up the frame work and welded on the bolts to attach the boards today. "

Tomorrow afternoon I will buy the boards I need to wall in the back and left side. The other two sides will remain open. I am going to plywood the roof first then put tin on on top of that to help cut rain sound and radiant heat in the summer. 

This frame work is 12'x10', 7'6" high in back and 8'6" in front.....the frame alone is 1100 pounds. I built pull points on the lower corners so I can move this around and relocate it in the future with my tractor. 

Did all that work by myself too......and yes, it is square and plumb within 1/8". 
[Image: IMG-4510.jpg]
Only within 1/8th inch? How do you sleep at night knowing it's more than .001 out of square? 😁😁
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

I know what you mean! By the end of a vacation, I am ready to go back to work just to get a break from WORK, LOL!
[Image: image.php?u=3580&type=sigpic&dateline=1688129445]
(09-05-2023, 08:03 PM)Towtruck Wrote: It would not be a vacation for me if I did not have something to build. ...........

I understand perfectly. This is me at the beach a few years ago:

[Image: 5SI1axx.jpg]

[Image: pb47I2x.jpg]

[Image: NadUApm.jpg]

Brought along a couple of tube radios to restore. Very relaxing. Most of the time.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

After work I went lumber shopping and bought all I need as far as lumber. I got 3/4 of the 2x6's in place and will start again in the morning finishing the wood portions of the shed. I managed to find specials on all the lumber. The lumber yard I use always has a deal pile. They band them up and sell them by the bundle....the bundle they had for the siding just happened to be what I needed so I scored on that as well as the plywood and other stuff. I will have all the wood work done tomorrow and then I will go order the tin for the roof. I should have less than $1500 in the shed and rubber matting for the floor when I am done.....this style shed sells for $6000+ depending on where you buy them.......

More pictures tomorrow...
Throw a picture of the little guy in, ok? I’d like to see him. He sounds like work, but a (maybe) nice surprise.
Five months old and first day of weaning.

[Image: IMG-4514.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Towtruck's post:

Today I got the wood portion done. I still have a few things to tidy up with welding and some finish work left to do. I over did it today and almost cooked my own goose so I am done for the day and wont touch it again until Saturday. Tomorrow I will oder the metal for the roof and when it gets cut I will finish this thing. I mistakenly bought one extra sheet of plywood so I put it on the left inner wall down low.

[Image: IMG-4515.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4516.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4517.jpg]

Once the roof goes on I can drag it over to the corral and set it in place.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2023, 06:22 PM by Towtruck.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Towtruck's post: