Please welcome our first Forum Moderator!

18 Replies, 1123 Views

We have been putting down some decent post statistics for a small forum and in the process, attracting some spammers!  So it is time to name our first member of the Mod Team...Tommag!

Tommag will be helping to keep this rowdy bunch in line as well as help keep the endless supply of forum spammers at bay!  Please give him a warm welcome!
[Image: image.php?u=3580&type=sigpic&dateline=1688129445]
[-] The following 4 users Like RocketFoot's post:

Ah crap! Here we go again! A pox on all scammers.

Terry
[-] The following 3 users Like specops56's post:

Jeez...
[-] The following 1 user Likes smb5769's post:

That was weird, almost like a challenge, or maybe a test. Three spammers replying to this thread. Anyway, I'm only wanting to help weed that crap out, not ride herd on you guys. Heck, you guys might need to keep me in line!
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024, 10:53 AM by tommag.)
[-] The following 3 users Like tommag's post:

(02-06-2024, 10:40 AM)tommag Wrote: That was weird, almost like  a challenge, or maybe a test. Three spammers replying to this thread. Anyway, I'm only wanting to help weed that crap out, not ride herd on you guys. Heck, you guys might need to keep me in line!
Good luck. It's definitely not a great sign that we've already started being hit. Maybe I need to check the site I saw armory data on and see if mention has been made of us here now.
[Image: Screenshot-20240205-231349.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like smb5769's post:

Joy Russian spammers & worse
Tom, just an idea.

While having guest post turned on seems like a good way to attract interaction from new people, it almost always ends up just opening the doors to spammers.

Not sure if you have that turned on or off here, but in the past with forums I’ve helped moderate turning off guest posting without signing up drastically reduced the amount of spammers signing up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Shooters Apprentice's post:

(02-06-2024, 08:49 PM)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote: Tom, just an idea.

While having guest post turned on seems like a good way to attract interaction from new people, it almost always ends up just opening the doors to spammers.

Not sure if you have that turned on or off here, but in the past with forums I’ve helped moderate turning off guest posting without signing up drastically reduced the amount of spammers signing up.

Id go as far as saying moderator needs to approve new members and no posting by them till approval
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

Unscientific testing (logging out and trying to post) wouldn’t let me post as a guest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Shooters Apprentice's post:

(02-06-2024, 09:09 PM)Rampy Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 08:49 PM)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote: Tom, just an idea.

Id go as far as saying moderator needs to approve new members and no posting by them till approval
So you're saying you'd trust my judgement???
You need serious mental health help my friend!😂