Please welcome our first Forum Moderator!

18 Replies, 1122 Views

(02-06-2024, 11:54 PM)tommag Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 09:09 PM)Rampy Wrote:
(02-06-2024, 08:49 PM)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote: Tom, just an idea.

While having guest post turned on seems like a good way to attract interaction from new people, it almost always ends up just opening the doors to spammers.

Not sure if you have that turned on or off here, but in the past with forums I’ve helped moderate turning off guest posting without signing up drastically reduced the amount of spammers signing up.

Id go as far as saying moderator needs to approve new members and no posting by them till approval
So you're saying you'd trust my judgement???
You need serious mental health help my friend!😂

Well, that’s one way to look at it 😛😛
(02-06-2024, 10:40 AM)tommag Wrote: That was weird, almost like  a challenge, or maybe a test. Three spammers replying to this thread. Anyway, I'm only wanting to help weed that crap out, not ride herd on you guys. Heck, you guys might need to keep me in line!

To be fair, Tommag did sign on to help with spam and stuff...not so much as a member moderator.  This is still a super big help since spam is at an all time high lately!

We don't allow any guest posting. Spammers are registering but it's not so bad...once they register and drop their worthless payload of word dribble, we just nuke them with one click which removes all offensive posts and bans their IP address from ever registering again! If we detect an IP pattern, I can do a wildcard ban and wipe out a whole geographic region of spamming asshats! It's kind of like AI for spam! Plus it gives us something to do...LOL!
[Image: image.php?u=3580&type=sigpic&dateline=1688129445]
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2024, 06:51 AM by RocketFoot.)
[-] The following 6 users Like RocketFoot's post:

I’m thinking about saying something inappropriate to see if Tom will kick me. What would get my wrists slapped? Asking for a friend.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

Congrats
"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking: Life Studies from a Dismal Trade
[-] The following 1 user Likes md65636's post:

(02-07-2024, 07:09 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: I’m thinking about saying something inappropriate to see if Tom will kick me. What would get my wrists slapped? Asking for a friend.
Probably anything along the lines of "I love Joe Biden and think he's doing a fantastic job!" would work. 🤣
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2024, 09:47 PM by smb5769.)
[-] The following 2 users Like smb5769's post:

(02-07-2024, 07:09 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: I’m thinking about saying something inappropriate to see if Tom will kick me. What would get my wrists slapped? Asking for a friend.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
(02-07-2024, 09:46 PM)smb5769 Wrote:
Probably anything along the lines of "I love Joe Biden and think he's doing a fantastic job!" would work. 🤣

That’s not funny. I hope you burned your finger typing that.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

(02-08-2024, 07:52 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:

That wouldn't get you banned, I like comedy!
(02-08-2024, 07:52 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:

Lol! It did leave a nasty aftertaste in my fingertips!