Propane vs Kerosene heater for emergency prep

5 Replies, 402 Views

Hey, got a question about emergency heating for my house. So here's the deal, my house is all electric unfortunately. The last ice storm blindsided us and I'm trying to get ready just in case it gets ugly this year. Small house, 1500 square feet. Which would be better to go with, a kerosene heater which supposedly can heat a 1000 square foot area, or a propane BIGBuddy heater which only does 450? May only be used once every who knows when if we were to have a power failure in an ice storm which doesn't happen often here. I know the right answer seems to be the kerosene heater for the space considered. Anyone have experience with either of these? It would cost more to get going with the propane heater because I'd also have to buy a propane bottle and a hose. Really seems like the kerosene would be the better deal, except I'm afraid it will be an issue with the fuel smell inside the house?
Why not electric, battery backup bank plus a large/portable solar panel to recharge & generator to supplement the solar

https://us.ecoflow.com/?utm_source=googl...gJ3ZvD_BwE
Know 2 people who are totally dependent on the electric grid for heat and they both have a battery bank that’s recharged by solar with a generator on the days the sun ain’t shining

Then a propane heater you can move from room to room as backup/ supplemental heat so you can shut down most of the house when not needed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

Because I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on it. I wish I could do something like that but it ain't happening in my lifetime.
(01-07-2024, 10:33 AM)smb5769 Wrote: Because I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on it. I wish I could do something like that but it ain't happening in my lifetime.

You can find smaller battery banks and tailor it to your exact needs and budget

Hell you can build it yourself and have isolated circuits you want powered for cheap, forget the guys name on YouTube he is a solar wizzzz kid and has tons of videos 

or you get a propane Mr buddy and several tanks of propane & a few cheap solar rechargeable lanterns & torches and call it good 🤷‍♂️
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

(01-07-2024, 06:08 PM)Rampy Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 10:33 AM)smb5769 Wrote: Because I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on it. I wish I could do something like that but it ain't happening in my lifetime.

You can find smaller battery banks and tailor it to your exact needs and budget

Hell you can build it yourself and have isolated circuits you want powered for cheap, forget the guys name on YouTube he is a solar wizzzz kid and has tons of videos 

or you get a propane Mr buddy and several tanks of propane & a few cheap solar rechargeable lanterns & torches and call it good 🤷‍♂️
My wife actually mentioned wanting a generator, just gotta cough up the money. To get one that'll run the whole house is more expensive than what we can do. Best I told her we could do is get one that'll run all but the central unit as far as I know.