Range fodder ammo

3 Replies, 744 Views

When I load brass, I typically weigh and measure at least the first 5 to make sure I’m getting what I want. After that I weigh powder charges and measure overall length every 5 plus a random 1 in 10 or so.
I have Dad’s old RCBS double beam powder balance, which he RARELY used, opting instead for mid-scale loads and a set of Lee powder scoops. I also don’t think he measured, just went by the top of the cannelure. I have a digital scale and caliper.
He also rarely used his powder measure, but I use it ALL the time.

[Image: IMG-4318.jpg]

My question is; for range fodder loads (5.56/.223 for example or 9mm) how frequently do I really need to weigh and measure? I’m talking about loads for just fun shooting, or Zombie competition where the furthest target is less than 25 yards, and most targets are 25-50 feet. I almost never need to adjust or tweak the powder measure or bullet seating, even if I load partial boxes on different days. I get going, weigh and measure the first five, rarely adjust anything to pick up where I left off yesterday. If I do 100 loads in one sitting, how many of them need to be weighed and measured?
I usually weigh the first 3 or 4 and then weigh totally randomly and then the last 3 or 4. Always worked for me.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

I put a light and mirror over the bullet seating station so I can physically check for the presence of powder before seating the bullet. If I see powder, I seat the bullet. Generally weigh the charge about every 10. Just trying to prevent bullets stuck in barrels by squib loads, as it has happened to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes olfart's post:

Unless I'm pushing the envelope ( high or low), I'll weigh severally from my powder measure to convince myself it's throwing consistently, then pick about 10% from the block and weigh them. If I'm using a powder that doesn't meter well (unique), I'll weigh each one. I like to use a flashlight to compare all the cases in the block before seating.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post: