Thumpers go bang, too!

2 Replies, 981 Views

[Image: IMG-0178.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0315.jpg]
When Iowa went ‘straight wall’ I hurried to build a Bushy (because I always hated slinging cannon balls out of a pheasant gun for deer hunting). When I found a bolt gun I liked, I scraped my pennies together and moved up to a Ruger American with GoWild. 450 Bushmaster is an awesome deer gun!
[-] The following 3 users Like srjdsmith's post:

I don't know what half of that means, but if a post has pics of guns, I'm happy.

Big Grin
(07-26-2023, 01:29 AM)Emptymag Wrote: I don't know what half of that means, but if a post has pics of guns, I'm happy.

Big Grin

haha. Iowa was always a ‘shotgun slugs only’ state for deer. I love deer hunting, not patient enough for bow hunting, so 12 ga with slugs it is. But I always hated the weapon. I did the best I could- rifled barrel, experimented with sabots, scope… but shooting shotgun slugs always feels like launching cannon balls out of a pheasant gun.

So when Iowa changed the law to allow ‘straight wall cartridges’ in a rifle, I did some research and found out that you can chamber an AR15 in 450 Bushmaster. It was one of the only good options at first (since then the law has changed again and there are other good options), so I built an AR in 450 Bushmaster. I killed several deer with it and fell in love with the cartridge, so I added a bolt gun.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post: