Trying to be a ham

15 Replies, 698 Views

I think it's still 35 questions. You have to pass tech to get general, so if you don't pass general you still have tech. The club will ask you if you want to take the general after tech. It costs nothing more to take both at the same session. Some of the general questions deal with stuff you see on the tech test, but it goes beyond that a bit.
There's nothing wrong with only passing tech. Once you get licensed and putting what you've learned into practice you'll probably find that your appetite for knowledge increases like crazy and the things you learned start to be easier to understand. Many consider a ticket as a license to learn.
There are a couple things dealing with simple math. You'll see a couple numbers you'll need as you study so memorize/practice using those numbers and take some blank paper to use for that.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2024, 11:53 AM by tommag.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

I mean, I took some electronics in high school and college, as well as physics. That was a million years ago, but a schematic for a diode is the same and v still equals amps x ohms.

It’s the legal stuff (what part of the 10m band can you use for…) and radio stuff (if you bounce your 6m TX off the moon and it reflects into the sun, will you split the moon and extinguish the sun, killing everyone on Earth…?) questions that I struggle with. Still practicing…
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

(04-11-2024, 12:02 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: I mean, I took some electronics in high school and college, as well as physics. That was a million years ago, but a schematic for a diode is the same and v still equals amps x ohms.

It’s the legal stuff (what part of the 10m band can you use for…) and radio stuff (if you bounce your 6m TX off the moon and it reflects into the sun, will you split the moon and extinguish the sun, killing everyone on Earth…?) questions that I struggle with. Still practicing…
Somehow I doubt the splitting the moon thing won't be on the test Big Grin . For 10m, you'll have 28.0 to 28.3 for data and 28.3 to 28.5 for ssb. Thats a small slice of the band but it's a big band and 200 khz is a lot of spectrum. I've found that most of the activity is in that area.
You might want to look at this forum, qrz. This link is to the becoming a ham section.
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/...am-q-a.35/
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

Ok. I’m taking practice exams. I can usually “pass” but there are some things about theory I’d like to know.

What’s the relationship between frequency and wavelength? So, for the question: “Which amateur band includes 146.52 Mhz?” With answer options: 70 centimeters, 2 meters, 6 meters, 70 meters.

Now, while I don’t know exactly how that all applies (I’d have to look up which wavelengths are used by GMRS/FRS, Tech class, General class, etc)

But how do I know the connection between frequency and wavelength?
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

(04-19-2024, 12:19 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: Ok. I’m taking practice exams. I can usually “pass” but there are some things about theory I’d like to know.

What’s the relationship between frequency and wavelength? So, for the question: “Which amateur band includes 146.52 Mhz?” With answer options: 70 centimeters, 2 meters, 6 meters, 70 meters.

Now, while I don’t know exactly how that all applies (I’d have to look up which wavelengths are used by GMRS/FRS, Tech class, General class, etc)

But how do I know the connection between frequency and wavelength?
Divide 300 by the frequency and you'll get the wavelength in meters.  300 divided by 146.52 equals 2.05 so it's the 2 meter band.

The first part of this Wikipedia entry does a good job of explaining frequency and wavelength.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength