Washing sized cases

2 Replies, 924 Views

So, my first batch of 30-06 are resized- awaiting length trim and beyond… I’ve done .223/5.56 and 450 Bushmaster, but it’s been a while, and I’ve never done 06’s. I dusted off Dad’s old dies and got going. 100+ cases deprimed, tumbled, and resized. 

But now they’re all slimy. One short finger swipe on Hornady lube does 2-3 cases and they were just fine in the resizing die, but I hate handling lubed cases. Can I wash them? They don’t need a full stainless-steel-pin tumbling treatment, and I don’t really trust my vibratory tumbler… can I just use Dawn dish soap and wash the lube off?
Just wipe them off with a paper towel.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(09-13-2023, 11:29 AM)srjdsmith Wrote: So, my first batch of 30-06 are resized- awaiting length trim and beyond… I’ve done .223/5.56 and 450 Bushmaster, but it’s been a while, and I’ve never done 06’s. I dusted off Dad’s old dies and got going. 100+ cases deprimed, tumbled, and resized. 

But now they’re all slimy. One short finger swipe on Hornady lube does 2-3 cases and they were just fine in the resizing die, but I hate handling lubed cases. Can I wash them? They don’t need a full stainless-steel-pin tumbling treatment, and I don’t really trust my vibratory tumbler… can I just use Dawn dish soap and wash the lube off?

No problem washing and rinsing them as long as you dry them. I made a case dryer out of 2 coffee cans. Drilled the bottom of the top one with a 1/4" bit, cut a hole in the side of the bottom one to fit a hair dryer, then fastened them together. Works fast on low setting!
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post: