any hams interested in a sked?

8 Replies, 104 Views

I got to thinking, since several of us are hams,  it would be cool to co-ordinate a meetup on the air, maybe even a roundtable. Obviously, with the wwdx contest going on until 2400z today, this wouldn't work today as the frequencies are so full now. Maybe on a non weekend we could get together.  My muf is usually up to 28mhz by 1700z until around 0200z. I can operate from 20m to 10m. Also, 6m but it's so sporadic so it's not worth trying.
Is anyone else interested in skedding this?
Ki7syg in dn17.
All of my HF antennas are inoperable at present. The triband beam is corroded, and the rotator no longer works. The G5RV ladder line feed is shot, and the antenna is draped over a tower guy wire. At 83 years old, I've lost my zest for climbing towers.

KB5JDT
(Yesterday, 05:46 PM)olfart Wrote: All of my HF antennas are inoperable at present. The triband beam is corroded, and the rotator no longer works. The G5RV ladder line feed is shot, and the antenna is draped over a tower guy wire. At 83 years old, I've lost my zest for climbing towers.

KB5JDT
That is too bad. My antenna is a hexbeam at only 21' but it works well out to about 6000 miles, but I think it's low height gives me too high a takeoff angle to work much further than that.
Have you considered an endfed hw or a simple dipole? The most compromised antenna is better than none at all.
My neighbor had an endfed hw at only about 8' and he'd did ok but not as good as he now does with his hexbeam but it is only 28' agl due to his HOA restrictions.
The hexbeam looks a lot like the MFJ Cobweb I was thinking about buying before they went under. I wanted the 40m add-on, but never got around to ordering the antenna.
[-] The following 1 user Likes olfart's post:

Aww, geez. Everyone’s a HAM but me.
[Image: IMG-5521.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

(Yesterday, 07:52 PM)olfart Wrote: The hexbeam looks a lot like the MFJ Cobweb I was thinking about buying before they went under. I wanted the 40m add-on, but never got around to ordering the antenna.
First, I looked you up on the qrz. What a nice qth!
I've never really looked at the cobwebs, but I have the na4rr hex without the 40m add on. At 21' diameter I find it's about as big as I want to go on a mast in a tripod in the yard. I'm happy with 20 meters and up. After a couple of coats of paint to protect the spreaders from UV damage it took me about an hour to assemble it. I've seen videos of doing it in 30 minutes but I'm slow, I guess.
Anyway, I really like mine, it seems to defy the laws of physics, working at low heights quite well. The front/back ratio isn't as good as a beam with a director or two and I've come to like that, oddly enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(Yesterday, 07:58 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: Aww, geez. Everyone’s a HAM but me.
The license is the easy part. Just find practice tests on line and you'll be able to memorize the questions and answers. Once you've gotten your technician and general class tickets you'll really start learning as you put that stuff into practice.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

(Yesterday, 07:58 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: Aww, geez. Everyone’s a HAM but me.

That can be fixed. If I could do it, anybody can.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

I would be interested in a regular sked. Might be a while before I can get back on the air. My garage is so piled up with stuff right now I can barely get to my shack corner. After we can release Houdini back into gen pop I can devote more time to getting it cleaned out and re-organized for the millionth time.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post: