chicken and dumplings

4 Replies, 297 Views

I'm craving chicken and dumplings. I've never followed a recipe for it, I've been cooking for 55 years and started in my mom's restaurant. This recipe has me intrigued, basically making a cream of chicken soup. My method never used cream or milk in the broth. Well. I'm going to try it this way, sort of. I plan on adding frozen mixed vegetables like a pot pie. The dumplings are pretty much the way I've always made them. I just simmered 3 lbs of thighs and put that in the fridge to make it easier to strip them tomorrow. I figure I'll go light on the flour and have a roux ( how do you spell that?) handy for thickening towards the end to reduce the chances of scorching.
I'll report back Saturday with more details. The way I do stuff, it might well turn into a chocolate cake!

https://thenovicechefblog.com/homemade-c...gs-recipe/
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

Sounds tasty & now I’m hungry 🤣🤣
[-] The following 2 users Like Rampy's post:

Well, I didn't turn it into a chocolate cake with horseradish frosting!
I've made the soup part but will add the dumplings later today. A cup or so of the broth made a very nice breakfast. Since I use recipes loosely, based on what I have on hand, I think I'll have to add a teaspoon or so of chicken bullion to it before putting the dumplings in.
I used the last of my dried thyme for this. How in the hell do you run out of thyme? That, onion, and a bulb of garlic are on my shopping list. I think it'll be a nice dinner for a couple days.

That was strange. Somehow I accidentally set my display to low light. By the time I got back my reply was gone.
Anyhoo, the chicken and dumplings was ok, but not great. The dumplings are excellent, but it's hard to screw dumplings up. The thyme added a nice dimension to them.
The rest was good but not what I'm used to. I had to add a little more salt to compensate for the milk. Chicken and dumplings is a comfort food for me so even a mediocre batch is still good. It won't go to waste but it'll go to my waist.

I make it about once a month from scratch.
Even the chicken stock is from scratch.

For the dumplings I use a good pie shell recipe. Just don't add any sugar.

Makes for some nice dumplings that soak up some of the liquid and don't fall apart.
[-] The following 2 users Like pierceg's post: