topical antibiotics

13 Replies, 1124 Views

My doctor used medihoney on a lesion that I've been using triple antibiotic ointment on.  It's too early to tell if it's better, but it made me think.  Honey has strong antibiotic properties and has even been found in the ancient tombs in Egypt, still in fine shape. 
After wading through puff pieces by vendors I found some info from the NIH that indicates it has some advantages over triple antibiotic ointment.  Evidently it's made using a specific honey but in a pinch I'm thinking regular honey  would be better than nothing as a topical antibiotic.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2024, 09:02 AM by tommag.)
[-] The following 5 users Like tommag's post:

Honey is not an antibiotic but it is anti bacteria and anti inflammatory so it provides a protection layer that helps in healing from my limited understanding

When I worked in the ER at the VA we would have vets come in on the weekend to have would dressings changed & between a silver oxide cream & dressing’s. Honey infused dressings and guns boots it was quite interesting

That’s why I ran to the podiatrist, did not want things to get to the point infection set in or it did not want to heal

I also think this stuff is helping the healing from the inside
https://protgold.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like Rampy's post:

Seems like we saw 2-3 guys or more on the weekend who needed these changed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unna%27s...ower%20leg.

I can imagine a honey dressing in the boots, what a mess! The piece from the NIH stated that medihoney helps out with bugs that have become antibiotic resistant. I may well have misinterpreted what I read.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

(06-04-2024, 02:55 PM)tommag Wrote: I can imagine a honey dressing in the boots, what a mess!  The piece from the NIH stated that medihoney helps out with bugs that have become antibiotic resistant.  I may well have misinterpreted what I read.

I could also be confusing things, it’s been a while since I worked in the ER 

Ordered some CBD oil and CBD gummies from a veteran group where they swear by the stuff so I figured why not try it on a roadtrip 🤣

it’s from Lazarus naturals in Oregon & just took the first dose…..

When t asked the podiatrist about using  tagaderm Vs tape she actually looked confused & had to sit back & think….never told her I worked at the VA so she actually had to sit back and think that one over 🤣🤣
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

It’s not even been 60 min since I tried the CBD oil (under the tongue) and my neuropathy is not as bad, the burning & thousands of fire ants on the inside of my skin trying to get out has reduced by 70% if not more

However, I’m lightheaded also…..ugh🤣

I should go to bed, back pain seems to be less, but I’m not walking

Neuropathy is still at least 50% better if not more, wonder if it’s actually better or it’s in my head

(06-05-2024, 03:13 AM)Rampy Wrote: I should go to bed, back pain seems to be less, but I’m not walking

Neuropathy is still at least 50% better if not more, wonder if it’s actually better or it’s in my head
The head controls the body. If your brain is convinced that your body is better then you're better. Go with the flow. (Now that's a saying I almost never use.)

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

(06-05-2024, 09:00 AM)specops56 Wrote: Go with the flow. (Now that's a saying I almost never use.)

Terry
If you can't flow, flee.
If you can't flee, flow.
[-] The following 2 users Like Longhair's post:

Years ago we had an ambulance call for a burn victim. Was a kid that had been mowing the lawn and caught fire while refueling. Before we even arrived the mother had poured honey on the worst burns which were on his right arm and hand. Our protocol then was wet dressings over the burns so that was what we did. Got him to the hospital and they had a chopper waiting to send him to the burn center. He was in there for a couple of weeks before returning home. The part with the honey required the least treatment at the burn center and had the least amount of scarring after the skin grafting. My mom used to use it for burns in the kitchen, like grabbing a skillet handle and it worked for that but I never dreamed it would work on full thickness burns at all.

Silvadine works really well as a topical antibiotic as well.
[-] The following 6 users Like MontanaLon's post: