yesterday's elections

4 Replies, 1207 Views

VA house went blue, KY dem governor reelected,  abortion wins by 13% in Ohio. There were some gop victories, but overall it doesn't look good.
I liked the sc ruling on abortion,  but it appears it's been a driver of Democrat turnout. That's a sad commentary on our society,  in my opinion.
There were only a couple school board races on my ballot and I don't know how they turned out yet.
3 out of 7 bond propositions for the local school district passed..could have been much worse..the State property tax relief passed, so even with school increase we came out ahead..
I’m thinking the home insurance companies figured early on to claim the property tax reduction..my homeowner policy went up $928..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake46's post:

Our bond referendum lost. People get mad when I say it, but “we” have done it to ourselves. (Not ME per se, but being a conservative in education is pretty lonely.) As far as I can see, there are three factors and it’s one or a combination of those. People just don’t trust the school district. They don’t trust;
1) that their taxes really won’t go up with the bond referendum
2) that they will spend they money for what they say they want it for
3) that the projects are what the voters want, even if they do spend it as they say they’re going to

Schools have lost the trust of the public.
parents; “You’re teaching my child WHAT?!?”
schools; “Don’t question me- I’m a professional and you’re just an angry, illiterate conservative.”

In Iowa, voters are red and schools are blue.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

Don’t understand how the 3 passed..everyone ended with “this will cause an increase in property tax..” my daughter’s a teacher but also a homeowner and voted against all 7..
[-] The following 2 users Like Snake46's post:

(11-08-2023, 07:19 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: Our bond referendum lost. People get mad when I say it, but “we” have done it to ourselves. (Not ME per se, but being a conservative in education is pretty lonely.) As far as I can see, there are three factors and it’s one or a combination of those. People just don’t trust the school district. They don’t trust;
1) that their taxes really won’t go up with the bond referendum
2) that they will spend they money for what they say they want it for
3) that the projects are what the voters want, even if they do spend it as they say they’re going to

Schools have lost the trust of the public.
parents; “You’re teaching my child WHAT?!?”
schools; “Don’t question me- I’m a professional and you’re just an angry,  illiterate conservative.”

In Iowa, voters are red and schools are blue.
For 3 straight elections the city has tried to pass a 1% sales tax increase saying that "80% of the increase will be paid by those who don't live in the city". They expected people to buy that horseshat. It may be true that 80% of what they collect may come from those who don't live here, but 100% of what I buy here will get hit with 1% more cost and that isn't acceptable to me. Every election the put the referendum on the ballot and every time they lost with even more opposition. I can't wait to see what they do in 2024, my money is that they put it on the ballot again and at that point I think they will all need to be replaced because they aren't getting the hint.
[-] The following 3 users Like MontanaLon's post: