Police/Fire/EMS Scanner

11 Replies, 1129 Views

Have been using a app to listen to local frequencies & having an idea of what’s going on in the area

However, the person feeding the app is permanently off air so I broke out me 90’s-00’s era scanners and nope, do not pick up anything till the VFD’s are paged out and then back to nothing 

Anybody know anything about scanners and what to look for in them??

I see some expensive ones have gps programing or zip code programming 

Wonder if I could take it when we travel, listen to local frequencies at night & listen to Space X if that’s even a thing 

Thoughts????
Virtually all police agencies have gone to UHF frequencies, leaving a few fire agencies on their old VHF frequencies. If your scanner can't receive UHF (400 - 800 mHz range), you're out of luck. A lot of small police agencies (like my sheriff's office) are using cell phones to dispatch in order to eliminate eavesdropping on their conversations. Again, out of luck for hearing those with any legal scanner.
[-] The following 2 users Like olfart's post:

A lot of departments are using digital radio, p25 I think. If your scanner is analog it wouldn't work for that. I'd think modern scanners are set up for that but I don't know for sure. That's all I've got to offer.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

At minimum you’ll need a newer digital trunking scanner. These videos may help you:

2021 Scanner Radio Crash Course

What can you get with a Digital Police Scanner?

This website has all your local scanner frequencies: https://www.radioreference.com/

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

Woooow, am I behind the times 🤣🤣🤣

Lots of learning I have, thanks for videos & link
I'm even farther behind the times. I used a scanner app to get Intel in metro areas I had to travel through as well as looking for unnatural traffic slowdowns on maps when all the mostly peaceful protests were going on. I have seen some scanners that I'm sure are wonderful, but the prices kept me from getting too interested.
Can you use a SDR and software to receive P25?
(02-13-2024, 10:43 PM)smb5769 Wrote: Can you use a SDR and software to receive P25?

No idea what you are saying 

downloaded police scanner radio today as daughter had a cop murdered not far from her & the murder is currently barricaded in a house
(02-13-2024, 08:59 PM)tommag Wrote: I'm even farther behind the times. I used a scanner app to get Intel in metro areas I had to travel through as well as looking for unnatural traffic slowdowns on maps when all the mostly peaceful protests were going on. I have seen some scanners that I'm sure are wonderful, but the prices kept me from getting too interested.

Thats one ting I tried doing but never had much success.
(02-13-2024, 10:43 PM)smb5769 Wrote: Can you use a SDR and software to receive P25?
I don't know. My only dabbling with digital was using an open spot but I lost interest in it after using dstar for a while.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post: