Stupid scammers

1 Replies, 10 Views

Just got another scam attempt in the mail. A letter supposedly from my home mortgage provider warning me that my home warranty is about to expire.. First clue is that the envelope has no company name / address on it, Second clue is that my home warranty is with a different company. Third and final nail in the coffin, it was addressed to my name. Our house mortgage in in my wife’s name. I put everything in her name so she won’t have to deal with probate when I kick the bucket. The scammers keep trying but they keep striking out.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

Found this on the BBB website:
https://www.bbb.org/article/scams/28701-...to-spot-it

If you get an unexpected letter from your mortgage company, look closely! According to numerous BBB Scam Tracker reports, the letters are a deceptive solicitation for a home warranty service. Here’s how to spot the scheme.
How the scam works

You receive a letter that appears to come from your mortgage provider. It’s allegedly from the company’s “Home Warranty Dept,” and claims that your home warranty must be renewed.

Before worrying, look closely at the letter and see what’s happening. One BBB Scam Tracker report noticed: “At the very bottom of the letter in small print is the comment, ‘Not all consumers have previous coverage. We are not affiliated with your current mortgage.’” Another homeowner reported: “The mailing is made to look like a check: it has the tear-away sides and inside is a ‘Renewal Fee Voucher’ for $199.00. It’s not a check: it’s an attempt to get you sign up for a home warranty."

If you don’t read the fine print (or it doesn’t appear in the letter you receive), you’ll likely be concerned your home warranty has lapsed, and your mortgage is at risk. You won't be dealing with your mortgage lender if you call the number and “renew” your warranty. Instead, you will have given money and personal information to a company that employs deceptive advertising tactics.

One consumer shared their experience with BBB Scam Tracker, "My grandmother received a paper in the mail that said, Final Notice. She called the number on the paper. The man on the other line [name redacted] he went by, tried giving her a "home warranty" deal of $234. This mail she recieved looks like a check with the amount $199 on it with her name in bold letters. He agreed that her payment would be that monthly. She gave him her debit card info where he took exactly $199.86 out on June 18th 2024 for this "home warranty."

This scheme is similar to the extended car warranty calls. The product may be real, but there are several things to consider before buying an extended warranty. Also, you want to avoid doing business with a company that resorts to misleading sales techniques.

Mine didn’t have the “check.”

Terry