Handgun Choice in Power Outages

6 Replies, 114 Views

(6 hours ago)The Shooters Apprentice Wrote: Funny you should mention tight tolerances

When I was a kid I remember my dad getting a Freedom Arms Premier grade 454 revolver. He was pretty proud of it at first but quickly found out that the gun was way to tight, and even the smallest amount of dirt in the gun would render it useless. he sold it and to this day will tell you that Freedom arms is over priced junk and you're better off with a Ruger.
I have a 788 in 223 improved with a hart bbl that's my most accurate rifle. When I'm having a good day it shoots in the high .1s. It's great at the bench but is so tight that if I screw up with seating depth and pull a bullet it has to be cleaned as a couple of granules of 335 will prevent the action from closing.  I've used it in the field for coyotes and gophers but I had to be prepared to deal with cleaning. With the 1:14 twist I'm limited to 52- 53gr bullets and accuracy fell apart past 400 yards but out to there it's pretty much a sure thing on gophers as long as I doped the wind properly.
For a carry handgun I wouldn't want anything that tight. In that role reliability trumps accuracy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

Messages In This Thread
Handgun Choice in Power Outages - by Rampy - 10-08-2024, 08:46 PM
RE: Handgun Choice in Power Outages - by olfart - 10-08-2024, 10:21 PM
RE: Handgun Choice in Power Outages - by Rampy - Yesterday, 08:36 AM
RE: Handgun Choice in Power Outages - by tommag - 4 hours ago