Lets Talk About Buckshot

9 Replies, 25 Views

I've never been much of a shotgun guy. Ive had a few over the years, and currently have 4 of them. I've often promoted them for home defense, But I've always used a pistol and a lever action myself (Current one is a 44 mag carbine)

Now I do have a Mosserg 590A1 as well as a Turknelli both kept loaded with 1oz low recoil slugs, but recently decided maybe I'd be better off with buckshot. I haven't messed with buckshot much in any of my current shotguns, so I decided to pattern some loads from the 590 and realized that my buckshot stash was pretty much depleted.

Now two things I do know about shotguns. This first one is something I've noticed across the board, but its especially noticeable with the 3.5" magnums, more velocity means more spread. And the second is something I never relly played with much, but I was told when I used to shoot 3 gun that 8 pellet buck will usually pattern better than 9 pellet. Now I know that some companies produced 8 pellet 00buck but I've never seen it here in Alaska. My load of choice was 2.75" 8 pellet 000buck as I felt like it hit harder and patterned better than 9 pellet 00buck. 8 pellets of 000 also weights more than 9 pellets of 00. I don't know what the percentage difference in mass per pellet is, but the 000 is about 20 grains heavier per pellet.

Now the problem - I can't find 000buck anywhere right now. I ended up buying a case each of cheap S&B 9 pellet 00, and Federal Flight Control Tactical 9 pellet both in 2.75" shells. Neither of these is a hot rod load, with the federal moving at an advertised 1145fps.

Im curious to see if the flight control wad will be enough to mitigate the 9th pellet flier. The cheap stuff doesnt look to have a shot cup, and is also not plated with anything. While it does not say so on the box, I do believe that the flight control is copper plated.

Will be interesting to see how much difference I get in pattern with these 2 loads
[-] The following 2 users Like The Shooters Apprentice's post:

Messages In This Thread
Lets Talk About Buckshot - by The Shooters Apprentice - 4 hours ago
RE: Lets Talk About Buckshot - by Rampy - 52 minutes ago
RE: Lets Talk About Buckshot - by Rampy - 49 minutes ago