.45 ACP brass

4 Replies, 1438 Views

My son got some 45 SWC bullets he’d like to have loaded. I want to do a nice job for him. Usually, with FMJ’s, I just pick a good load near the middle, bracket out a couple grains, choose the one I like and load them. I don’t load max charges, but I also don’t sort brass for those ball ammo loads.

The load I’ll do for these bullets calls for Federal brass and, sorting through my brass, I have relatively few Federal. The vast majority of what I have are Winchester- probably from “white box” Win loads I had in bulk. I’m pretty sure I can come up with 100 Federal but… could I use the Winchester brass? If they’re all the same brass, the consistency should be there? Would Remington Peters brass be a better choice than Winchester if I can’t find enough Federals?

He wants accuracy, so it’ll probably be a relatively modest, to light, load.
I can't see where there would be much difference. Maybe weigh a few of each and see if there's a big difference in weight between them.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

You'll never see the difference on target. I've won so many matches using mixed 45 ACP that I would be embarrassed to list them. Personally I prefer Winchester brass but back last century Federal was very much more available than it is today. I have cleaned and sold around 60,000 pieces of Winchester over the years to a gun shop out East and never had a complaint. I don't like S&B as the primer pockets are iffy at times for size. R-P stuff is always good to go also.

Greg
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2023, 05:01 PM by Glshooter.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Glshooter's post:

I've never noticed a difference in accuracy when reloading with mixed brass.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

[Image: IMG-4009.jpg]

Brass Goblin says “Ooooooo! So shiny!”
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post: