Iowa is a straight wall state…

4 Replies, 2572 Views

…well, it WAS. (Now it’s a .35 - .50 caliber state. We have people shooting .416 Rigby and .375 H&H mag, for Pete’s sake!)

My son shoots a levergun in .44 mag and my daughter and daughter-in-law shoot bolt guns in 350 Legend. I still cling, stubbornly, to 450 Bushmaster.

https://lonestaroutdoorshow.com/2023/12/...ex-optics/
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2023, 12:08 PM by srjdsmith.)
Isn't Iowa so small that with a little bit of elevation, you'd be lobbing rounds from Iowa into Nebraska or Illinois?  Big Grin
I mean, that’s why they always claimed we couldn’t use rifles before- too much chance of picking Cletus off his tractor from two counties away. But you could shoot grandpaw’s ol’ Remington 1100 and blaze away with 5 12 ga slugs at a little running doe (I heard a 5 shot barrage on Saturday).

Now you can shoot anything .35 or bigger, so you can shoot a .375 H&H mag or a 460 Weatherby magnum, but you still can’t shoot a .30-30 because too dangerous. Really, don’t try to figure out Iowa hunting regulations.
[Image: IMG-7312.jpg]
(12-13-2023, 10:35 PM)srjdsmith Wrote: I mean, that’s why they always claimed we couldn’t use rifles before- too much chance of picking Cletus off his tractor from two counties away. But you could shoot grandpaw’s ol’ Remington 1100 and blaze away with 5 12 ga slugs at a little running doe (I heard a 5 shot barrage on Saturday).

Now you can shoot anything .35 or bigger, so you can shoot a .375 H&H mag or a 460 Weatherby magnum, but you still can’t shoot a .30-30 because too dangerous. Really, don’t try to figure out Iowa hunting regulations.
Obviously,  when they allowed bottle neck cartridges and left the 35 cal minimum in place it was done by officials who have no firearms knowledge.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post: