Outboard mechanics? Anybody?

6 Replies, 2321 Views

I have a 2002 40 hp mercury outboard. This morning we tried to waste some fossil fuel and take a run on the river, but the dang thing didn’t start. At first it cranked, but didn’t catch- just the starter motor. This motor has been a little stubborn, but not too bad over the years. (I finally figured out that it starts & runs better on non-ethanol fuel, which can be hard to find in Iowa.) After a bunch of tries, the starter motor wouldn’t go- just the ‘click’ of the choke, and maybe a solenoid clicking. 

We pulled it out of the river and came home. We checked fuses and cleaned/dielectric greased as many contacts as we could and put the charger on the battery… and while we were working, I noticed that the gear on the starter motor was still engaged with the flywheel. I tapped on it and it didn’t drop and disengage. My son wrapped the emergency starter rope and pulled while I tapped the gear with a hammer handle and the gear disengaged and dropped down. We tried the key again and nothing.

1) Is my starter motor dead?
2) Are starter motors repairable?
3) Or just replace it?
4) Can I replace it? Or take it to a marina?
5) Could it be the solenoid?
6) …and what about Naomi?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2023, 04:07 PM by srjdsmith.)
Put a couple drops of oil on your starter Bendix shaft, and it likely will retract on its own spring power. Have you tried starting it with the rope? A short snort of WD40 in the carb intakes may persuade it to fire a few strokes.

Disclaimer:
I am not now, nor have I ever been, an outboard mechanic. No, I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express. But I have danced with a few outboards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes olfart's post:

I agree with the above statement. It sounds like a sticky starter bendix. Hopefully the bendix just needs some work. If it has been sitting and the battery is good then check the wiring. I have rebuilt starters, sometimes the problem is finding parts.

I need a picture of Naomi before I make any recommendations. Full pictures, no head shots.
"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking: Life Studies from a Dismal Trade
[-] The following 1 user Likes md65636's post:

Ok. Thanks. I’ll lube the Bendix shaft to begin with.

The battery is getting older and may not have the load power to spin the motor enough to start- and also supply ignition. I’ll get the battery load tested- probably replace.

I found a starter for $50, but oil on the shaft and a new battery need to be taken care of anyway, so I’ll do those first.

I don’t think anyone has seen Naomi, so that question continues to bounce around in the ether of my head…
I'm far from being a mechanic, but I'd start by fixing the known problem first. Could it be that the drag from the starter motor kept the engine from firing?
Is the voltage good the the starter? For vehicles, I usually pull the starter and test it with a jump pack and a screwdriver. That will show if the starter is dragging.
"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking: Life Studies from a Dismal Trade
Thanks, all. I’ll calm down and be a little more diagnostic now! I was just angry that the minnows died and I never even went fishing!

Clearly the first step is to lube the starter shaft. Honestly, the battery is old. It likely doesn’t have the cranking capacity, even though it “works.” Along with a couple drops of oil on the starter, I’ll also replace the battery. I have a jump pack so that will be easy first steps.

It’s not the newest motor, but so common for so many years that parts are not difficult. I found a starter motor for $50 if I have to go that far.
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post: