Primary Arms ACSS Holosuns

25 Replies, 6435 Views

(09-26-2023, 01:06 AM)Rampy Wrote: Been looking at moving to Florida but the East Coast and Midwest unloaded at least 1 million people plus 2 million illegals at least in Florida. It’s insane.

$2,500 month for a decent 2 bedroom apartment if you want a decent 3 bedroom 2 bath house $3,500 and up

It’s unreal & we don’t want a mobile home in hurricane prone Florida

Want to get out of the cold/harsh winters, they really raise hell with the body

Come on down here to South Carolina. Our illegal population is only about 6% and we're a gun friendly state. Our COL is lower than most.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(09-27-2023, 09:50 AM)specops56 Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 01:06 AM)Rampy Wrote: Been looking at moving to Florida but the East Coast and Midwest unloaded at least 1 million people plus 2 million illegals at least in Florida. It’s insane.

$2,500 month for a decent 2 bedroom apartment if you want a decent 3 bedroom 2 bath house $3,500 and up

Come on down here to South Carolina. Our illegal population is only about 6% and we're a gun friendly state. Our COL is lower than most.

Terry

Looking at states without a state income tax so that rules out Idaho and factoring in a few other qualifiers Alaska, Tennessee & Florida are at the top of the list but Alaska is ruled out 

looking at it from a healthcare/retirement standpoint and it will cost us on average $2k to move to a state with a income tax. While that’s not technically very much living off of a fixed income it does factor in. Also been talking with a friend who is retiring from Shaw AFB in weeks and has purchased a home in the Chattanooga Tennessee area. Another retired friend who lives in the Fort Bragg area is moving to Knoxville Tennessee all due to no state income tax & very friendly to military retirees 

Wife wants to go to the Knoxville area & check it out, she likes the Pigeon Forge area & wants to see what Knoxville has to offer

but……we have a 12 hour drive to Canada and have gone up twice this year visiting family & going up over thanksgiving. Need to look at airports & flights
Another thing we are looking into is getting a 20” (max length) travel trailer since we have the truck.

Can spend 30+ days at a time on military bases camping and Florida has some great ones. Only problem is the wife would have to do the bending & twisting hooking up water/sewer & such

But it’s a great way to have your cake and eat it 🤣🤣🤣🤣
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

(09-27-2023, 06:18 AM)Rampy Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 02:40 AM)300BlkLivesMatter Wrote:

Look at the caldwell area in Idaho. Just outside of boise, but Very mild winters in that part of the state, and of course it would not be too far of a move.  tons of new construction houses everywhere as well.

We have been thru the area on 84 but never really stopped to check it out 

Boise is about 12 hours & we have been talking about going that way over thanksgiving as DDD has showcased a few restaurants that look superb & it’s a good excuse for a road trip 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Need to look into the VA in the area as well as the quality of hospitals & where they stack up 

The VA hospital in Boise has been excellent in my experience, thats where I originally got my service connected stuff all done many years ago and still go back for checkups. We bought a new construction place in Caldwell out by the lake, and the taxes and cost of living are so so much better here than back in oregon.  We are still learning the best restaurants here, but at least we are getting two In-n-outs.  Oh, and if you like nice knives, check out Northwest Knives in Meridian ID.  They carry Microtech, Heretic, guardian tactical, chris reeve, etc and they have a store pick up option that is particularly dangerous as a local.
Woo boy - got busy and haven't been able to check up here and look at all the responses!

One of my friends and former employees keeps bugging me to look at Idaho - every time we speak he's like "so move to Idaho," especially when I complain about the 400th straight day of 100 degre weather (finally getting some relief from the heat + getting rain to help pull us out of the drought!) and he's like "Move to Idaho, it was 65 degrees today" - I've been studying a bit on SE Idaho - he's a deputy with Bingham County and makes a solid argument for that area. Its proximity to Yellowstone, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming puts it in the running for sure.

I'm hoping our economy doesn't completely turn to crap in the next few years, or if it does its back on the road to recovery by the time we're ready to move. We paid $212k for our house in 2020. Last year I tried convincing the wife to sell, as the market value was up to $400k. Our place is owned outright - no mortgage. That cash could've let us buy a lot more land in a smaller area - was looking hard at central Texas at the time and kept watching two properties that were 10+ acres that had ponds and were ready to build on that were $100k. Could've built a house or moved in a manufactured home and still had a pile of cash in the bank. Didn't happen...

She is onboard at this point for moving after kid is out of school. I'm really hoping the market value of this place has gone up again by then. Current market estimate is still over 300k, but its no where near $400 like it was last year. What I want to do when we're ready to move is sell this place and buy a bigger place outright. Preferably 10 or more acres - I want a place big enough to build a pond on + having my own shooting range. We don't need as big of a house as we have now - we've got 2130 sq foot, by the time we're ready to move we could probably be just as happy in 1700 or so, provided it has a good kitchen and good bathrooms. Also want / need a shop or garage.

Time will tell!
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkriflenut_aka_sasquatch's post:

Sounds like you have a hookup in a sweet area of Idaho

Personally I’d jump on that as you’re not getting any younger & retirement from a law enforcement gig is harder the older you get. Have a bro on a Sheriff’s Department who just retired and turned around & went part time with the same department as a courthouse deputy. He keeps his take home cruiser & works 2-3 days a week in the courthouse 🤣🤣

Who knows what 10 years will bring, but I’m not optimistic the way things are going and it makes me happy I live in Wyoming even if we had to turn on the heat & have freeze warnings out 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Totally understand not wanting to uproot the kids as moving can be hard on them
Have a guardian tactical on order 🤣🤣

Need to get another hand held light, thinking about getting a Modlite PLHv2 instead of a cloud defensive light

Also need to get a couple headlamps & keep them in the truck as when it gets dark it really gets dark & changing a flat at night stinks……

Need to get some kind of road side flashing warning lights also & possibly a couple stupid reflective vests to keep in the truck also
32* outside & I’m freezing, got to love Wyoming in the winter 🤣🤣🤣🤣
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023, 07:20 AM by Rampy.)
It's 77 and sunny here.

Terry
(10-07-2023, 02:38 AM)Rampy Wrote: Have a guardian tactical on order 🤣🤣

Need to get another hand held light, thinking about getting a Modlite PLHv2 instead of a cloud defensive light

Also need to get a couple headlamps & keep them in the truck as when it gets dark it really gets dark & changing a flat at night stinks……

Need to get some kind of road side flashing warning lights also & possibly a couple stupid reflective vests to keep in the truck also
Those stupid reflection vest look goofy, but they do increase your visibility.  I don't know if you have one or not, but the rechargeable 20v impact wrenches have plenty of oomph for passenger vehicle lug nuts. My harbor freight 3/8 drive one seems like it could bust a lug if you worked it too hard.