Trying to be a ham

15 Replies, 697 Views

No, not like that.

You suggested just re-taking and re-taking practice tests until I can pass. I found a site on the interwebs where I can take practice tests- for free. I was getting 50-65% correct. The last two I got 83% and 74% (74% is barely passing).

I’ll keep going until I can pass every time, then I’ll contact my local radio club guy and ask him about taking the test.

If I manage to pass, beware an onslaught of questions; antennas, starter radios (cheap), who to call, when to call…
[-] The following 3 users Like srjdsmith's post:

Bring it! Onslaught away, we can handle it.
[-] The following 2 users Like olfart's post:

Likely you'll start as a technician. You'll have limited permissions on 10 meters. Most of your initial activity will be on vhf/uhf. That's almost all short distances and line of sight with maybe the occasional tropospheric ducting taking the distances out to a few hundred miles. What, where, and when would be best answered by the local club. 10 meters upper sideband will get long range (around the world) contacts when conditions are good. It's been good this solar cycle but has dropped down a bit in the last few weeks. Listen a lot to familiarize yourself with how it's done in your area. You'll struggle with your call sign at first. Write it down to look at when you get on the air until that becomes second nature. I think you'll find the local club members very helpful.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2024, 08:59 PM by tommag.)
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

(04-09-2024, 07:24 PM)tommag Wrote: Likely you'll start as a technician. You'll have limited permissions on 10 meters.  Most of your initial activity will be on vhf/uhf.  That's almost all short distances and line of sight with maybe the occasional tropospheric ducting taking the distances out to a few hundred miles.  What, where, and when would be best answered by the local club. 10 meters upper side and will get long range (around the world) contacts when conditions are good. It's been good this solar cycle but has dropped down a bit in the last few weeks. Listen a lot to familiarize yourself with how it's done in your area. You'll struggle with your call sign at first. Write it down to look at when you get on the air until that becomes second nature. I think you'll find the local club members very helpful.

He can also do 6 meters as a Tech. 6 Meters has been open a good bit lately.

Terry
[-] The following 3 users Like specops56's post:

(04-09-2024, 07:58 PM)specops56 Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 07:24 PM)tommag Wrote: Likely you'll start as a technician. You'll have limited permissions on 10 meters.  Most of your initial activity will be on vhf/uhf.  That's almost all short distances and line of sight with maybe the occasional tropospheric ducting taking the distances out to a few hundred miles.  What, where, and when would be best answered by the local club. 10 meters upper side and will get long range (around the world) contacts when conditions are good. It's been good this solar cycle but has dropped down a bit in the last few weeks. Listen a lot to familiarize yourself with how it's done in your area. You'll struggle with your call sign at first. Write it down to look at when you get on the air until that becomes second nature. I think you'll find the local club members very helpful.

He can also do 6 meters as a Tech. 6 Meters has been open a good bit lately.

Terry
Didn't think of that. 6m is not very useable in the west. I've made a few contacts on 6 but nothing in the last couple years.  I frequently call on 6 but give up after 5 or 10 minutes.
Come to think of it, during one opening I managed a couple triple hops into Florida. I should try the magic band more often.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2024, 09:02 PM by tommag.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

[Image: IMG-4877.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

If you get the tech stuff down, don't be afraid to work on your general. It costs no more to take both tests at the same time.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

Yeah. That’s what my cousin says. Take the general as well and then you don’t have to bump it up later if you pass to begin with. He’s on Chicago, so I guess he has similar conditions- except for the urban sprawl. I don’t see him all that often, though.

The club here is pretty active and very helpful. They’re why I’m doing GMRS now. We have a quick net every Sunday evening. They’ve helped me program the radios I have now. They have a GMRS repeater and I can hit it from just over 20 miles away. (I have a 50 watt radio in my truck and the antenna on the roof is almost like a dish. I get excellent range, so now I want to go for 100’s or maybe 1,000’s instead of 10’s of miles… 🤣😂).
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

A 10 meter dipole can be hung between your trees with minimal expense, only 16' of wire and a homebrew strain relief, and some insulators. Think electric fence insulators. The guys will help you with that, I'm sure.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 08:53 PM by tommag.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

Is the exam for General still 35 questions, some the same, but from a broader set of questions? If you don’t make General, can you get Technician at the same time, or do you take another or different test?
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post: