Umm… can we talk?

12 Replies, 5219 Views

A friend came to me at church this morning. “Umm… can we talk? Remember when I asked you about a gun a while ago? For home protection? I said I’d get back to you… Well, this business in Israel has got me thinking.”

I told him that, if he’s legal (he IS), I can’t stop him, but I won’t help unless he gets training, and will promise to practice. Just “having” isn’t good. Now, he’s an Iowa farm boy and grew up toting a 12 ga. around in corn fields, so he’s not a complete greenhorn. He wants to try different handguns- CCW size and full size- shotgun, possibly rifle and large format pistol. For my taste, CCW is easy- G43 or G19 category. Mossberg mod. 500 would be hard to beat for home protection.

There are as many answers as there people asked— plus two. If you were advising someone, what would be your advice?
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

Take him to a range that has rentals..he’ll know it when he uses what’s right..
[-] The following 2 users Like Snake46's post:

(10-15-2023, 08:21 PM)Snake46 Wrote: Take him to a range that has rentals..he’ll know it when he uses what’s right..

That’s essentially my plan. I can let him shoot small, medium and large handguns- autos and wheelguns. Another friend has, literally, every model of Glock and an arsenal of similar impressiveness of other non-Glock handguns (I hate him a little bit). I think the guy still has his shotgun- maybe an 1100- but I can let him shoot a couple defense-configured shotguns and several different AR variations.
[-] The following 3 users Like srjdsmith's post:

If fit and finish takes a back seat to function and price, the Mossberg 500 is tough to beat.
Without training, the best tactic to learn I can think of is to keep the muzzle pointed down. In the event of someone trying to disarm you, you can drop down and shoot. With the muzzle up you can't levitate to shoot down at the threat.
At the very least, show him why he has to AIM a shotgun at close range. A person who hunted birds may be familiar with shotguns but may have never thought about pattern size at defensive ranges.

As we all know, it's hard to beat an AR-15 for a carbine. Stay the heck away from too many fancy things hanging on the rails.

Tactical training is always a good thing.
[-] The following 3 users Like tommag's post:

Getting a little philosophical, I'm struck by your friend's concern. Even with let's go Brandon's open border policy, we're far less likely to be exposed to a terrorist attack on an individual level than the average Israeli. Thank God that we live in a country where where we can prepare for such events. The more citizens who prepare for such a scenario, the more rifles behind every blade of grass there will be.
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

Lots of people get hung up on how a gun “feels” and thinks the Glock grip angle is horrible

That’s a training issue and not a gun issue

How serious is he, will he buy once and might shoot 50rds and call it good or is he buying in on actually shooting & seeking out quality training?

Revolvers actually have a high failure rate, screws back out and the yoke locks up or falls out. They need to be inspected regularly and you need gunsmith screwdrivers or toy will bugger up your screws

You can’t go wrong with a Glock, CZ or Walther, the new Walther are actually extremely well designed specifically for concealed carry/self defense
[-] The following 3 users Like Rampy's post:

Citizen defense research is out of Iowa it seems. I know Melody Lauer (exceptional instructor) lives in iowa and teaches in iowa but they do lots of traveling/training

Mindset is huge, it not easy to take a human life & the ramifications will change you

Medical is more important than firearms. I have a brother from another mother who is now retired from Las Vegas Metro and he ran out of med gear at the concert shooting while never firing a single shot

https://citizensdefenseresearch.com/
[-] The following 3 users Like Rampy's post:

(10-16-2023, 04:38 AM)Rampy Wrote: Citizen defense research is out of Iowa it seems. I know Melody Lauer (exceptional instructor) lives in iowa and teaches in iowa but they do lots of traveling/training

Mindset is huge, it not easy to take a human life & the ramifications will change you

Medical is more important than firearms. I have a brother from another mother who is now retired from Las Vegas Metro and he ran out of med gear at the concert shooting while never firing a single shot

https://citizensdefenseresearch.com/

Thank you! I’ll refer him, but I’ll look into this myself, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

(10-15-2023, 11:06 PM)tommag Wrote: ............
Without training, the best  tactic to learn I can think of is to keep the muzzle pointed down. In the event of someone trying to disarm you, you can drop down and shoot. ............

Or you can just blow the bad guy's foot off. That's one reason I always use low ready inside the house.

Terry
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2023, 09:19 AM by specops56.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(10-15-2023, 11:45 PM)tommag Wrote: Even with let's go Brandon's open border policy, we're far less likely to be exposed to a terrorist attack on an individual level than the average Israeli.

Don't forget about Pantifa and Black Lies Matter, who practice their own brand of terrorism.
[-] The following 2 users Like olfart's post: