Who is at the bench today?

2 Replies, 903 Views

This worked before. No idea who started it- years before I joined I think. Can this just be a running thread for little questions? I’ll start.

A while ago- during The Time of Great Buying Panic- I found some CCI 41 primers. Right now I don’t need any more 5.56/.223. But I’d like to load some 300 BO. .223 is the parent cartridge and the bolt is the same, shouldn’t they work for AAC? (The load data calls for either WSR or Fed 205.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

Although it's recommended practice to use components as listed in the load book, in general it's acceptable to substitute primers with similar characteristics. If the load calls for standard rifle primers, you wouldn't want to substitute magnum primers or vice versa. Any deviation from the published load data introduces unknown factors that may change the results, so changes likely should be tested before mass loading.
[-] The following 1 user Likes olfart's post:

I was the one that started the thread on the ARMORY years ago. The 41's will do perfectly fine for your 300 BLK cartridges. I use lots of WSR and do well with all the 223 based AR rounds. The 41's just have an anvil that has a tad more distance between it and the cup. It is essentially a CCI SR primer other than that and the CCI is GTG based on using them for about 40 years for me.

Greg