Yard bird on the pellet smoker

4 Replies, 1858 Views

Not fancy, but good eating

[Image: IMG-4077.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

I need to try that, looks tasty, need to do beer can chicken

Need pellets for the smoker, any recommendations???
(09-12-2023, 01:33 PM)Rampy Wrote: I need to try that, looks tasty, need to do beer can chicken

I like the stronger wood for my pellet grill. I always use hickory or mesquite or a blend. I don’t like the milder wood in the pellet grill- such as fruitwoods or the “competition” blends.

In my MasterBuilt cabinet smoker, I generally start with cherry chips to get the red halo then switch to whatever I have. My son got me some oak chips from Jack Daniel’s barrels and I have some oak chips from Tabasco sauce- those are good.
(09-13-2023, 12:13 AM)srjdsmith Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 01:33 PM)Rampy Wrote: I need to try that, looks tasty, need to do beer can chicken

I like the stronger wood for my pellet grill. I always use hickory or mesquite or a blend. I don’t like the milder wood in the pellet grill- such as fruitwoods or the “competition” blends.

In my MasterBuilt cabinet smoker, I generally start with cherry chips to get the red halo then switch to whatever I have. My son got me some oak chips from Jack Daniel’s barrels and I have some oak chips from Tabasco sauce- those are good.

just used up the last of some competition blend I got somewhere 🤷‍♂️

Will try hickory or mesquite next
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

(09-17-2023, 05:01 AM)Rampy Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 12:13 AM)srjdsmith Wrote:

just used up the last of some competition blend I got somewhere 🤷‍♂️

Will try hickory or mesquite next

I mean, I’d rather competition blend pellets than not bbq at all… but I have found the ‘stronger’ kinds of smoke give a little more smoke flavor when I grill at higher temps. At lower temps, the milder wood produces plenty of smoke, I think. Hickory is my favorite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post: