hurricane helene

9 Replies, 106 Views

Normally I associate hurricanes with coastal area damage. Helene made landfall with 150 mph winds and certainly devastated that area,  but has been very destructive much further inland. Ashville, NC is 400 miles from the landfall and the storm has dumped 30 inches of rain there as well as some distance north of there, washing out roads and making travel impossible. I know the storms don't end at the coastal areas but 400+ miles inland and people are stranded, no communications, etc. boggles my mind. Maybe I've never paid attention in the past but I can't recall anything like this, at least not in the USA. 
I'm pretty well insulated from events where I live, hurricanes aren't a thing in the Northwest.  Wildfires are an issue, but an 80,000 acre fire doesn't cover the whole area. Windstorms with sustained 40, gusting to 75 happen here but they don't leave us devastated. I'm aways from subduction zones so earthquakes might happen but not very likely. Every decade or so we get major snowfall but roads are usually cleared in a day or so. I only keep 2 buckets of freeze dried chow on hand but I think a 40 day supply is more than adequate.
Two buckets of freeze dried chow might get you through a hurricane, but it may not get you through a dock workers strike. I have the feeling that's going to be devastating to the whole country, and especially where the storm hit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes olfart's post:

A lot of our medicines come from overseas, might be a good time to stock up on prescriptions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(Yesterday, 10:51 PM)tommag Wrote: A lot of our medicines come from overseas, might be a good time to stock up on prescriptions.

My transplant meds run about 5 grand a month. If not for CHAMPVA I couldn't afford to be alive. And the icing on top is, they are all made in....... wait for it................. labs in WUHAN!

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

(10 hours ago)specops56 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:51 PM)tommag Wrote: A lot of our medicines come from overseas, might be a good time to stock up on prescriptions.

My transplant meds run about 5 grand a month. If not for CHAMPVA I couldn't afford to be alive. And the icing on top is, they are all made in....... wait for it................. labs in WUHAN!

Terry
They really have us over a barrel, don't they?
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(9 hours ago)tommag Wrote:
(10 hours ago)specops56 Wrote:

Terry
They really have us over a barrel, don't they?

All part of the planned purge.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

What good is a ton of food in buckets do when your house is washed away??

Or burnt up in a fire, this picture was taken yesterday about 30 miles from the daughters house & it’s raining ash

I’ve got no idea how much my meds cost, they all come from the VA and only 39 day supply, it’s impossible to get 60-90 days supply

Wife gets her meds on base…….

I knew a couple guys who got meds from the VA & they refused to pay the copays & the VA never sent it to collections & he was on expensive meds

[Image: IMG-1124.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rampy's post:

(Yesterday, 07:30 AM)olfart Wrote: Two buckets of freeze dried chow might get you through a hurricane, but it may not get you through a dock workers strike. I have the feeling that's going to be devastating to the whole country, and especially where the storm hit.

Hell, drinking water is impossible to get….needs to be choppered in and it’s not happening 

people are laying where they died…..rotting 

I was told the govt is going to bulldoze houses/cars/body’s and news media is not allowed in 

IDK what’s true vs rumors, my friend in Asheville just got Starlink set up for his area, can have yo too 200 devices hooked to it from what he said.

He lives on the high side, no power or running water but he has a small supply set aside for him & his wife and he has a few solar panels hooked to a home battery bank & has power he’s rationing charging people’s devices & such

looting is happening, people have been shot….

I need to get 4-5 buckets of food somewhere & then set aside 50-100 gallons of water somehow as water is life

I forgot

Cash is king, no power no internet but some shops are open & Walmart is sending in semis of food/water

But you need cash to purchase

The guy in Asheville had a bottle of everclear he traded for 25 gallon of water that he took to people on his ATV