My water heater just exploded!

10 Replies, 3540 Views

We just got home from shopping. We’d only been home about 15 minutes when we heard a loud bang from the garage. This is what we found:

[Image: nyLSIyA.jpg]

[Image: ojdzzQk.jpg]

[Image: VN8EMUR.jpg]

[Image: WoWqNeH.jpg]

[Image: yNxoDI8.jpg]

[Image: TOafzkI.jpg]

[Image: KIXtqmO.jpg]

It’s electric so it appears to be a pressure build up. Our home warranty, American Home Shield has arranged for the plumbers to call in the next 24 business hours to schedule the appointment. Which means they won’t even call until Monday or Tuesday. No telling when they will actually show up.

Terry
Ugh. That sucks.

Now I'm nervous because ours is probably past due for replacement in terms of life expectancy.
Makes me nervous..never understand why any builder would put a water heater in the attic as mine is..
[-] The following 2 users Like Snake46's post:

(08-26-2023, 10:08 PM)Snake46 Wrote: Makes me nervous..never understand why any builder would put a water heater in the attic as mine is..

Actually it's in my attached garage/workshop/Ham shack/reloading room/man cave. But they put it in the corner butt up against the wall and that's where the damage is. Even though the supply pipe to the the tank is closed, water is still coming in from somewhere. I can't even see where the water is coming from. I had to shut off the water to the whole house.

On the bright side it's a good test of my water preps.

Terry
No pop-off valve / expansion tank? Defective?
[-] The following 1 user Likes speedy's post:

Oh, man. That’s too bad!
(08-27-2023, 07:35 AM)speedy Wrote: No pop-off valve / expansion tank? Defective?

The pressure relief valve has been replaced twice in the last 20 years. The latest replacement was last year. It seems to have not functioned as it was still closed.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

Waiting for the plumbers to come between 11AM and 2 PM to replace it. Since my old one was installed in 2003 when the house was built and the state changed the code in 2015, I have to pay an extra 650 buck fee to bring it up to current code!

Terry
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2023, 09:30 AM by specops56.)
This is what the back side looks like:

[Image: VcZqzCZ.jpg]

Installer said it’s the worst he’s ever seen. Here is the new one installed:

[Image: qmmmqyE.jpg]

My water preps stood me in good stead over the weekend.

Terry
Not good! I just had one develop a SLIGHT leak that was handled overnight with a towel under it. Had it replaced and all was well. They put a pan under it this time. The prices was about $600 more this time for the same unit put in by the same people 7 years ago.

Greg