The NFA

8 Replies, 2317 Views

(11-12-2023, 11:46 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 07:59 PM)Rampy Wrote: Look at what laws the NFA is based on, is it built on solid case laws & historically consistent

Or is it based on laws built on a sand foundation??

Look at United States v. Miller, 307 U.S. 174 (1939) and how that is the foundation for current laws and how shaky it is…..

And how it was a tax thing

So… you think the NFA could possibly be thrown out? I’d like to think so. Robert’s seems pretty focused on his “settled law” standard, but Roe did get overturned, so maybe?

What would happen to the price of items-formally-known-as-NFA? (suppressors, etc) Would they skyrocket once commonly available due to demand, or would the price drop due to easier access?

Back in 2017 when it appeared the hearing protection act may go somewhere, removing suppressors from NFA, I talked with a manufacturer that was going to introduce a line of suppressors. They already had the designs worked out and tested and the retail price was going to be $199.99. Now they weren't high end suppressors but they were entirely functional and you could buy all of the parts over the counter if you broke something which you can't do with suppressors on NFA, you break the registered part and you have to repay the tax and wait the months for the new BGC. When the Vegas shooting happened and HPA died on the vine it all went away but you can be sure if they get rid of NFA the prices will drop significantly as there is more competition in the market. Same with full auto, M16's would go from $20,000 and up, to about $100 more than a comparable AR. There just isn't that much more too them, a couple of holes and a few stamped parts.

What pisses me off is the DOJ allowed the criminals to get "switches" for their Glocks and we haven't seen an exponential rise in possession of an unregistered machine gun charges being levied at state or local levels. Case in point, over the summer a "teenager" in Chicago was arrested with a Glock with a switch installed. Literally multiple decades he could have spent in prison for the state and the feds and they let him off with misdemeanors and "boot camp" incarceration. I guess they only hammer the law abiding gun owners who order their switch off Aliexpress with the felonies. [/quote]
[-] The following 5 users Like MontanaLon's post:

Messages In This Thread
The NFA - by srjdsmith - 11-12-2023, 11:42 AM
RE: The NFA - by Rampy - 11-12-2023, 07:59 PM
RE: The NFA - by srjdsmith - 11-12-2023, 11:46 PM
RE: The NFA - by MontanaLon - 11-13-2023, 11:20 PM
RE: The NFA - by hkriflenut_aka_sasquatch - 11-14-2023, 12:55 AM
RE: The NFA - by Rampy - 11-14-2023, 02:28 AM
RE: The NFA - by Rampy - 11-14-2023, 02:29 AM
RE: The NFA - by srjdsmith - 11-14-2023, 07:45 AM
RE: The NFA - by specops56 - 11-14-2023, 07:53 AM