good morning!

229 Replies, 6484 Views

Smart dog!

64 here at 0700, headed for 83 again. Lots of rain starting tomorrow, but we might catch a glimpse of the eclipse between clouds.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2024, 08:13 AM by olfart.)
(04-06-2024, 11:06 PM)olfart Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 02:57 PM)srjdsmith Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 01:20 PM)specops56 Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 09:04 AM)srjdsmith Wrote:
(04-06-2024, 07:28 AM)specops56 Wrote: 39 here and I'm heading to the Hamfest in another hour!

Terry

[Image: IMG-4871.gif]
Everybody’s a HAM but me…

Take the test. If I can pass it anyone can!

Terry

I need at least a LITTLE theory. I can’t rote memorize 100 answers. I need to spend at least some time on theory so that I can guess the answers I don’t know.

(I also have two builds that need to be shot. No, three. I also have a CCW with new night sights that I can’t carry until I’ve shot it. I also need to finish 6 recertification credits to renew my teaching license. I also haven’t stood at my lathe and turned anything for months. I also have MOUNDS of brush to clear in my yard. …a bedroom to paint. …a door to install. …a boat to find under a pile of winter storage & neglect. …a stack of research papers to grade. …120 unit tests to grade … … …) …and my son wants to go trout fishing.

So, you see. I really need another hobby so badly. And I don’t want to take the test until I stand at least a slight chance of passing it.

Who said you have to understand theory to pass the test? Rote memory of 100 questions? Nope. Just read the questions and answers (available online) twice, and you'll recognize enough of them to pass the test.

When I took my General test I did so well on it they pushed me to take the Advanced (no longer available), and I only missed it by 2. No, I never got around to going back for my Extra. General is plenty for me.

What he said! Remembering theory has never been my strong suit. I’m more of a practical applications guy. What I did was take the practice test over and over until I was passing it every time. Worked for both my Tech and my General. I have learned a little bit more of the theory since but only because I’ve been able to actually see it in action now.

Try it. You have nothing to lose and a whole lot of fun to gain!

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

50 And bright sunshine now. Gonna do some more restoration work on some in progress antique radios today. Also gonna edit some YT videos.

Terry
[-] The following 2 users Like specops56's post:

Good morning!
[-] The following 1 user Likes tommag's post:

(04-07-2024, 06:25 AM)Rampy Wrote: Local weather guy said 114mph is the highest gust so far…..

Pellet grill blew over & gas grill was blowing across the deck, almost blew my dumb ass over struggling to straighten it up & brace them against each other

Never had that happen before

Lots of power outages & downed trees from what I gather, at least we have power so I’m happy

I’m naive to think- maybe you ‘need’ a generator more than another stove? (You probably have a generator. Maybe I’m the only one who doesn’t have one yet. My summer project is to take care of that.)

This winter, on a coldest day, my power flickered for- probably less than a second- and I said to myself, “Self, you’re a fool not to have a generator. Get one.”

My Dad converted the fireplace to a gas log. It never worked well with wood- hard to get the flue to draw without smoking up the house, sucking a bunch of warm air out while the fire was dying… so he converted it. It doesn’t work, so I’m having the furnace people look at it this summer to see if it can be corrected. (I suspect that it ‘worked’ but Dad had a couple other concerns- long story- and I wonder if I simply replace the thermostat he removed, turn on the gas, and light a pilot, it will be fine. I think if I had gas but no electricity, it would be a backup, once checked over and working?
[-] The following 1 user Likes srjdsmith's post:

Nope, no generator & I can not remember power ever being out more than a hour or two at the very most in the past 25 years or so and normally it might flicker once or twice a year if that. Wife thinks it’s gone out twice in the past year or two as she had to reset clocks but was not out more than a couple minutes max

Have wanted one but other things were more important & could never justify the expense along with getting an electrician to set up a circuit or even just getting a generator & setting up a few extension cords so the wife can run it if I was gone

No fireplace, just a good old fashioned Lennox gas furnace we turn the blower on in the fall and it runs 24/7 till turning the furnace off for the season

This wind/snow storm knocked down over 250 power poles East of us out to Sidney Neb from what I’m reading along with a knocking down a handful west of us

I know it’s stupid risking it in this day and time but we don’t want to screw with gasoline & the maintenance needed at this point in life
[-] The following 2 users Like Rampy's post:

Daughter’s house is heated by electricity & they have a pellet stove and a deep cycling lithium home battery set with a portable solar panel to charge it & that battery will run their fridge, freezer’s lights and the pellet stove for almost 48 hours without needing recharging

Though about going that route but 🤷‍♂️
[-] The following 2 users Like Rampy's post:

Spring has arrived after the snow storm last week. We were out doing a spring clean up in the pasture yesterday. I was chopping weeds and picking up sticks and I had the wife on the tractor dragging a tire around to smooth out the gopher holes and knock horse apples down. We had the baby horse out with us as well. There was a wet spot in the field and I wasn't paying attention to the wife as she drove around until I noticed her doubled over laughing as she went around the tree. Turns out she had been drifting the tractor through that mud hole and made herself a little race track......she was having a blast......67 years old and playing like a kid!
Look at the field now!!!
[Image: temp-Image0-Sp-D7g.avif]
[-] The following 5 users Like Towtruck's post:

Happy Eclipse Day morning! 58 and high clouds at 0600, not looking good for eclipse viewing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes olfart's post:

It's 48 right now and in a few minutes I'll be taking my wife's Honda to my mechanic. Her ABS system is glitching again. It's a never ending battle.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post: