I dressed up for a funeral

7 Replies, 2004 Views

So, today I went to a funeral. I bought a button up shirt, black slacks and a tie. A friend had never seen me in anything but raggedy t shirt and khakis looked at me and said " Dang, you look like somebody hung a chandelier in an outhouse. Come here and let me tie your tie properly."
[-] The following 2 users Like tommag's post:

Sorry you had to go to a funeral! I don't even own a tie anymore.

Terry
[-] The following 1 user Likes specops56's post:

A friend told me Saturday that I looked different. A few hours later he said your wearing long pants. It's so hot at work that we are in shorts and t-shirts.
"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking: Life Studies from a Dismal Trade
[-] The following 1 user Likes md65636's post:

I have my own lawn care business and several years ago, I decided to get a winter job to keep some money rolling in until spring.
I figured Walmart would do, so I applied, and was called in for an interview.
Any interview I've been on in the past has been "suit and tie", but since it was "Walmart", I figured I could get away with just the dress pants, shirt and tie.
The interviewer said something like "Wow, look at you, all dressed for success! It's nice to see it - I've never had anyone come in for an interview wearing a tie before!"
LOL
[-] The following 3 users Like Emptymag's post:

(08-22-2023, 09:54 PM)Emptymag Wrote: I have my own lawn care business and several years ago, I decided to get a winter job to keep some money rolling in until spring.
I figured Walmart would do, so I applied, and was called in for an interview.
Any interview I've been on in the past has been "suit and tie", but since it was "Walmart", I figured I could get away with just the dress pants, shirt and tie.
The interviewer said something like "Wow, look at you, all dressed for success! It's nice to see it - I've never had anyone come in for an interview wearing a tie before!"
LOL

hahaha! You should have worn the suit! You’d be the general manager by now…
[-] The following 2 users Like srjdsmith's post:

I had an interview for a state job. The job and division was more white collar than blue collar. However, the department was more laid back and did casual dress. I showed up in a suit and the four interviewers were dressed casual. I was asked if I had purchased the suit for the interview. I told them no as I had purchased it several months prior to the interview. I had purchased it for a friend's funeral. He was not doing good and knew it was a matter of time. Everything has to be ordered in our area. So, the suit came in after three weeks and I was fitted a few days later. I got the call the suit was ready 30 minutes before his funeral.
"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." Thomas Lynch, The Undertaking: Life Studies from a Dismal Trade
[-] The following 3 users Like md65636's post:

I interviewed for a job at the Fed prison in Phoenix. I was employed by one in Oklahoma City at the time and had been in the BOP for 13 years. I walked in in a double breasted black suit and tie and was met by the Hospital Administrator in the area I wanted to work in. These people had their jaws on the floor like they had never seen a guy walk in dressed to impress. I already had the job thanks to an Associate Warden at my joint talking-to his buddy AW at PHX but I didn't know that at the time.

That suit was the one I wore on all medical transfers that I did for two decades. Walking in to a hospital unit in the real world and getting an inmate always was easy. I scared the crap out of half the nurses as they just new I was FBI or a US Marshal. I'm a nurse so when we did hit a little glitch I knew the lingo and had the skills to deal with the recalcitrant staff, of which there were a few, and it sure smoothed out boarding on commercial airliners. I always packed the gun on the armed transfers and the flight crew always treated me well..lol

Greg

PS: I've worn that suit to way to many funerals. I'll probably get burned up in mine.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2023, 06:45 PM by Glshooter.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Glshooter's post:

It’s funeral season…….

Need to pull the suit out and see how it fits 

Life sucks and I hate funerals…..k